Just say no to crack!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicklet

Reaction score
I hope this is not a duplicate post. Had some computer problems earlier and I seem to have lost my mind. No wait, that's not what I meant to say....

Okay, anyway, I had my first cracked soap last night. I've only gelled a couple of soaps before and I get all nervous and anxious when I do, so I checked on it a couple of ours after I put it in the mold and , yep, it had cracked. I suspect overheating - I made a "gelling box" by cutting down a bigger box and taping it together so my mold fits snugly inside with a few inches of space above the mold. I then put a beach towel on top of that. When I saw it was cracking I pulled it out of the box and just let it set uncovered for another hour or so. Before I went to bed I put the towel back over it but did not put it back in the box. The crack is not very big, maybe a couple of inches long but not wide at all. There was no volcanic activity. I saw somewhere online a method of repairing cracks but I can't find it now. It involved using a clear plastic bag, like a Ziploc bag. Anybody got an experience repairing cracks they would like to share?

Oh my gosh, yes, that's it Genny. Thank you so much, BUT - if I saw that video HERE on the forum yeterday and couldn't remember TODAY that I saw it, then I've got more problems than just cracked soap! :) But I did do a LOT of research online over the weekend. Yeah, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

She used Everclear. Will rubbing alchohol work? I've seen 90% referenced when making bath fizzies, but the alchohol I have is 70%. I had never even paid attention to the strength before I started researching bath fizzies and bath bombs and the like. (See how I got that research thing in there again? Yeah, I was online ALL weekend. That's why I didn't remember where that crack video was.)

;)

If I seem to remember correctly from a post someone else made somewhere, regular rubbing alcohol does work.

Is it completely immature of me that the phrase "crack video" has me giggling?

All I can say after reading this is CRACK IS WHACK!! lol :D

Sorry I have no solution for your problem... just a giggle!

Yes, rubbing alcohol works. I've tried this before to repair cracks, and it works. I think it is overheating that causes it, but it only seems to happen to soaps with sculpted tops for me. Bummer!

Latest posts

Back