Not a good soaping day - Gremlins at my house!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikindred

Reaction score
Decided to use some fragrances that I had ordered a few months back to create a new soap this morning....that was the start of my demise.

I used my "go to" recipe that I have used for at least 5 batches and have never had a problem but today, was something different. My recipe is

Castor 5%
Olive Oil 60%
Shea Butter 10%
Palm Kernel Flakes 15%
Coconut Oil 10%

Lye 12.29 oz.
Aloe Vera Juice 24.58 oz

For the first time, I mixed my fragrance with my oils and added a little Coconut Milk (powder form) and Tussah Silk to my lye. Once I started to mixed them together, they seized within minutes. Now I will say that my fragrance was Patchouli and Pink Grapefruit and this was my first time using those fragrances. I had plans to make Brown and Pink swirls using the in the pot swirling but I never had a chance to get anything in but the brown :(

I was able to muscle it into the mold but it doesn't look pretty at all..it is quite ugly being just brown soap with a few speckles in it....but it smells wonderful! I do not like Patchouli but I took the advice of the forum and mixed it with another fragrance and it made a world of difference. I guess I will wait for it to come out of the oven to see exactly how ugly it is later.

Oh well, no more soaping today...one failed batch is enough.

Back