Cilantro smells like soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agriffin

Reaction score
A lady at the market was telling me about this…

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/the ... d-1285539/

And there was another lady standing next to her and she was like “oh my gosh! I hate cilantro because it just smells like soap to me…so I’m not crazy?” It was so funny…because she thought cilantro smells like soap…and apparently there is a reason for it…

I love cilantro myself...I eat it on tacos, sandwhiches, with tomatos in a salad...

My husband always says that cilantro smells and tastes like soap to him. I love the stuff and can put masses of it onto my food.

It seems there are definitely two camps regarding this strange phenomenon. Do you have a link or any info on why this is so? I will Google it.

i love and eat it too, but i have had the soap taste before. it was when someone put waaaaay to much cilantro into what we were eating.

Yeah a friend of mine just posted about this on Facebook and finally feels vindicated. He's been saying cilantro tastes/smells like soap for years.

Doesn't smell like any soap that * I * make!

But I love cilantro... espcially in home made salsa.

xyxoxy said:
Yeah a friend of mine just posted about this on Facebook and finally feels vindicated. He's been saying cilantro tastes/smells like soap for years.

Doesn't smell like any soap that * I * make!

But I love cilantro... espcially in home made salsa.

meeee toooo mmm mm mmmm my favorite is mango chutney with loooads of cilantro! :)

LOL!! There is a mexican restaraunt near here that I always thought their salsa tasted soapy... just like they didn't quite get all the dish liquid out of the bowl. They must have tons of cilantro!!

I looove cilantro, love love love.

I make my own salsa and use a lot of it.
I'd love to grow my own, I wonder if they have a cilantro kit for the aerogarden? hahaha

Never tasted the soapiness before, but I'm glad I don't fall into that category!

tasha said:
I looove cilantro, love love love.

I make my own salsa and use a lot of it.
I'd love to grow my own, I wonder if they have a cilantro kit for the aerogarden? hahaha

Never tasted the soapiness before, but I'm glad I don't fall into that category!

Hhahaha...I'm glad I'm not in that category either. I grow my own- it does well in a pot...but I never seem to get enough. Once it starts flowering it's pretty much done for the season.

Back