Kidney suet?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskachick

Reaction score
My butcher friend heard that I had started a new hobby (making soap) and has generously offered an endless supply of kidney suet. Does anyone use this in their soap? Any advise on preparing it is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I have used the suet from our beef. Make sure you remove all of the tissue, blood etc and chop or grind before rendering. I render ours in an old crockpot on low. Rendered kidney suet makes great tallow for a hard and mild soap.

For me kidney suet is the only thing I will use as tallow. The other kinds of beef fat just don't cut it. You scored big time.
And when you do render just be sure to do a dry render first and only boil with water after, so you are only adding water to the melted fat and not using water to do the melting. You get a much better product that way.

The classic definition I know of "tallow" (but there are generaliz'ns to other fats) is adrenal fat. I figure renal (kidney) fat ought to be pretty close to the adrenal (on top of the kidney) fat.

The classic definition I know of "tallow" is rendered beef or mutton fat which is processed from suet. I've never heard of adrenal fat. I've only heard of adrenal glands.

Also, the layers of fat around the kidneys and adrenal glands are the perinephric (perirenal) fat and paranephric (pararenal) fat. :wink:

I didn't mean the fat was from the organs themselves, just that they're the nearest landmark.

Sistrum, can you elaborate on your procedure for rendering? Do I need to add water? I've cleaned it up, chopped it up and put in the crockpot on low. I read about the "dry rendering" method, which doesn't mention using any water. I plan to let it cook till all I have is clear liquid and "cracklings/floaties", then pour it through cheesecloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. After you render out the oil like you posted above, I strain the oil into another pot and add about a third or so of water and salt. Depending on how much you have maybe about one third cup. Simmer this for awhile then cool and put in fridge overnight. Next morning pour off the water and scrape off the gunk. You can repeat if wanted or needed. Hope this helps. Sissy

Back