White Spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacykins

Reaction score
I know DOS means dreaded orange spots, but has anyone experienced DOS where instead there were white spots?

I ask because my peppermint soap that I made almost a month ago ( http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... +cedarwood ) is getting white spots. It doesn't smell rancid, and there are no signs of orange spots. The red palm oil and EVOO I used in the recipe gave the soap its kinda strange color.

I haven't used it, as it is still curing. I don't think my point and shoot camera can get a good enough picture to show them, but I will try. I am currently in the library far away from my curing soap. My worst case thought is it is incompletely mixed lye. But wouldn't those spots have showed up immediately and not several weeks into the cure? About a week ago there were only one or two of these white spots that appeared on the curing soap, and today when I looked at the bars, there were many more!

Thanks for any input/info.

Interesting, considering you made your soap in a class.

I wonder if it may be steric spots instead. I was having a steric problem a lot when I was using Palm oil and PK. If the oils are not heated high enough, the steric acid in the Palm doesn't melt all of the way. Hard to say, though, without pics.

Just a thought.

Actually the one I am speaking of is the one I did not make in class. That one is perfect.

The orangy one I made a few days after.

I have had some soap do the white spot thing and then it goes away.I have no idea what it was, just glad it went.

Kitn

Well, not a bit of zap, even on the white spots. Minty though :lol:

100_2507.jpg

100_2508.jpg

100_2509.jpg

100_2510.jpg

Hopefully pictures help.

If the white spots are developing over time, possibly it is an oil not quite melted/blended fully and the soap colouring is leaching away from it? Just guessing here....

Tanya :)

topcat said:
If the white spots are developing over time, possibly it is an oil not quite melted/blended fully and the soap colouring is leaching away from it? Just guessing here....

Tanya :)

i'm guessing, too, but i'll bet you a jelly donut that it's the steric acid/palm oil part not completely dispersed. what was your percentage of palm and what temp did you batch at? plain steric acid added as a hardener will do that too if not completely melted then well blended.

did you add any color to this or is the the red palm oil and olive oil color you spoke of? that's a BRIGHT yellow!

neat looking soap-i don't see any reason not to use it.

monet

I used these percentages for the oils in the recipe:
58% Olive Oil
25% Coconut Oil
10% Red Palm Oil
7% Castor Oil

It was superfatted at 6%. If I remember correctly, the oil mixture was heated to about 120 degrees Fahrenheit, then cooled to 100 degrees and then mixed with the lye water (which was at the same temperature).

Yep, the color is purely the result of the red palm oil and EVOO. I added no colors, EOs were the only additives. I am glad to know it is still useable, the spots are just rather interesting and I had no idea what they were.

Back