What do you think? I’m new I’d love some feedback

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artdiva05

Reaction score
UPDATE could you all look at my post #19 and tell me what you think about it.

Okay what do you all think of my recipe?

Castor 7%
Cocoa butter 15%
Coconut oil 92* 33%
Olive oil 33%
Rice bran oil 12%

5% super fat

Adding sugar to water for bubbles

Adding 2oz coconut milk I will do a water discount.
Adding 2oz of Greek yogurt.

Last edited:
Too much castor- drop it to 5%
Too much coconut oil-drop that to 15-20% max
Is there a reason you are avoiding the trinity-lard, tallow, palm? This should be the bulk of your recipe.
Why are you using 92* coconut oil? Most folks use 76*.
Why both yogurt, sugar, and coconut milk?

I second taking a look at the amount of coconut, seems a little high for most people. I also would advise holding back on some of the additives to understand how each one contributes individually before combining them.

Have you run your numbers through a calculator yet? Which calculator have you chosen and how are you interpreting the some of the additional info calculators give?

I agree with Susie--lower the castor and coconut. I will say that I use coconut-92. . . . most use the 76, but the 92 does seem to firm up the soap in the early stages; after a cure, I don't see a difference.

I have been using the lots of lather oil mix from brambleberry it has 33% coconut oil in it that’s where I got that percent at that’s why I chose that. I want a vegan friendly soap that’s why no tallow. For this particular recipe I wanted palm free the other recipe I do has palm in it. I was given the 92* oil that’s why this one I’m running out of the regular one so I thought I’d give this one a try. I’m wanting to try fluid sbhp that’s why the yogurt and the coconut milk to help with fluidity. The sugar is there because it was suggested to me by another soaper on this site for bubbles. I’ve never actually used it before so I thought I’d try it. I want a bubbly bar. Do you all the think I need it with the yogurt and coconut milk? My milk says 0 sugar. I used soapcalc.net

Last edited:
Ditto what have been said above about lower castor and coconut.
These additives put together in CP will be asking for trouble, overheat and volcano.
If it's in SBHP ( stick blending hot process, I suppose ), well, some HP guru might chime in later.

Last edited:
Coconut milk and yogurt both have sugars. Adding more sugar is not needed.

And thank you for not taking offense at my straightforward way of giving feedback. I was not criticizing, just giving feedback. Although you might want to say you are doing SBHP on the front end so we know what method you are planning to use.

Someone who makes vegetarian/vegan soap is going to have to weigh in on the recipe. I don't, so I have no idea what that kind of recipe should look like.

Bubbly29 14 - 46
Cleansing22 12 - 22
Condition52 44 - 69
Hardness44 29 - 54
Longevity22 25 - 50
Stable28 16 - 48
Iodine53 41 - 70
Ins160 136 - 165

Fatty Acids %

Lauric16
Linoleic9
Linolenic1
Myristic6
Oleic36
Palmitic14
Ricinoleic6
Stearic7

I have run your recipe through soapee calculator, these are the numbers. It does not look bad, but remember, some shorter chained fatty acids are not listed in soap calc, soapee. If you're using Soap Maker 3 software, it might list some of the shorter chained fatty acids.(if I recall correctly ) And these shorter chained fatty acids are even harsher than lauric and myristic acid. So keep that in mind.

The vegan idea in mind, if you take Susie’s percentages from post 2 and add the rest to the olive oil or rice bran. If you add it to the olive you will probably get the oleic slime, personal preference if that’s acceptable to you. I would still pick one additive at a time to understand what they actually bring to the table, there’s no harm in having more soap on the curing racks.

Susie, I would never be offended I asked for help that’s all your doing. On the vegan front I realized after I posted that (mind you I’ve been working on this recipe for almost a month) it can NOT be vegan with the yogurt in it hahaha. I did realize after I posted also I should’ve said sbhp in my original post sorry everyone! So after reading y’all feedback I’m going to change it back to what I originally had I’ll post that recipe and see what y’all think although that one still has my CO at 25% I think.

What do you all think about the lots of lather quick mix I’ve been using at 33% CO? I didn’t find it drying at all. This is the lots of lather recipe.

CO 33%
Palm 33%
Castor 3%
Canola16%
Olive oil 14.9%
Vitamin E .1%

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback!

Last edited:
hey the second recipe did not make up 100%. But with 33% palm, it will be less soluble than 33%olive (or rice bran), and personally i prefer lots of palm/lard/tallow than lots of olive. I just don't like gooey snotty slime. ;)
Your mileage may vary.

I’m wanting to try fluid sbhp

Have you tried a bar of soap made with this method? I had 1 given to me 2 years ago. I was a vendor at a fair and another soaper came to my booth and proceeded to lecture me on why this was the best method ever. . . . Most of her reasoning revolved around the fact that it didn't need a cure and that it had to be good 'cause she paid a lot of money for the formula and procedure. Me being dubious, she gave me a bar. It lathered nice, and I don't remember it drying my hands, but the bar was very soft. It ended up on my curing rack where it developed a bad case of DOS.

Personally, I'd focus on formulating something a little more traditional and "tried-and-true", and then, if you're still inclined, give this a shot.

Note that that recipe is called "lots of lather". It is not called "not stripping to skin". Everyone's skin is different. That recipe will indeed create lots of lather (high CO), but to lots of us it will strip our skin of its natural moisture. I have dry skin already, that soap would not help me at all. YMMV

Personally, I'd focus on formulating something a little more traditional and "tried-and-true", and then, if you're still inclined, give this a shot.

I, however, am inclined to say, "try it." When you're new, half the fun is trying new techniques and ingredients. I tried regular HP at about my 5th batch and learned that it was not the process for me. I tried milks pretty early, too, and learned that it was nice, but not necessary. I tried 100% CO with a high superfat and discovered my husband likes that bar the best. Etc. Etc. However, I make small batches, so all that experimenting didn't overwhelm me with soap.

I, however, am inclined to say, "try it." When you're new, half the fun is trying new techniques and ingredients.

My intent was not to discourage the OP when it comes to using additives. . . . Personally, I find this technique (SBHP) to be rather gimmicky, and based on the bar I was given and what I've read/heard about the technique, there is a lot that can go wrong. Granted, it's been 2 years and maybe the technique is "new & improved". I've been wrong before, and most certainly am now.

The OP also writes that they wanted to try this method because it creates a smoother product than traditional HP. . . . So why not try CP and limit the risk of volcanoes? You can use milk and all sort of additives and colors in CP soap--and have a beautiful and smooth product. Without volcanoes. And the heartache that comes with DOS.

Still working on it. I have done 3 cp soaps with lots of lather from Brambleberry. I wanted to make my own recipe and I wanted to try the sbhp. No biggie. If the feedback is it give orange spots I’d rather try something else! So I’m looking at my recipe I have friends and family with really dry skin (eczema) and some who have really oily skin I forget the name of it what if I did 25% CO but also did 15% cocoa butter would that high of butter help offset the extra 5% of CO but still give me a hard, bubbly bar that would be good for both skin types?

72FB2A2B-ECB1-44EC-B4DC-E5024301C3A8.jpg

Last edited:
Again, I'm not trying to discourage you from trying it. I tried a lot of weird things when I started out.

Will a batch of soap that you make with SBHP get DOS? Who knows? My impression from talking with this other vendor was that she has paid a lot of money for a formula and the procedure--and the soap I received ended up with DOS; it's anecdotal at best. I don't know what about this particular batch caused DOS, nor do I know what the formula in Sharon's ebook looks like. My major issue is that the emphasis online seems to be that "This version (unlike cold process) is ready for use as soon as the soap hardens." While it maybe true that the soap is safe to use, as others here will agree, it's far from "ready."

Back