~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils > Frankincense Essential Oil

Old 10-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
Kamahido
Paladin of Soap

Liked 435 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Frankincense Essential Oil

The other day I started a thread about the above essential oil. Upon reading the responses it seems I may not have worded the question correctly. So I wanted to clarify...

Has anyone ever used Frankincense Essential Oil in their soap?

Old 10-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
Obsidian

Liked 4676 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I made a batch last week with it, what are you wanting to know?

Old 10-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
Kamahido
Paladin of Soap

How well it holds up in cold process soap. Did it morph? Did it discolor? Normally I would just buy some and try it out, but as expensive as the essential oil is I figured I would ask around first.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Obsidian

Liked 4676 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 121

well, I only made the soap last week so I have limited experience and I used a blend not straight frank. At this point, I can't really smell the frank but what is there, hasn't morphed and I don't think it discolored at all. I used neem in this soap so its fairly green to begin with.

I used a low quality EO though so it might differ from a good one. Maybe a FO would be a better/cheaper option?

Old 10-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1206 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 736

One of my early batches I used frankincense with, along with fir needle and cedarwood. I didn't see any discoloration. The scent held up fairly well, the only issue is on my end- I used a very light hand with the fragrance with that batch so it's pretty faint. I haven't used it just by itself yet, though. I think I got mine from Bulk Apothecary.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
ilovebathing
RiceFaceSoapery

Liked 24 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have used it in my Rose Water Soap batch this year and I also add it lightly. In the beginning the soap smells really good, eartly smell but as the soap cured the scent didn't last that long. But I was aiming for its skin benefits especially for the face. I haven't tried using Kaolin clay as I heard many soapers use it to make the scent last a little longer.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #7
divinegoddessoaps17

Liked 196 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 370

I use it in my CP soaps. No problems.
Skatergirl46 Likes This 
Old 10-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
Kamahido
Paladin of Soap

I went ahead and ordered a bottle of Frankincense Essential Oil. Will let the forum know how it turns out.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #9
Kamahido
Paladin of Soap

I have made the soap with Frankincense Essential Oil and it has been curing for 2 weeks now. The scent has mellowed just slightly since making it and is quite woodsy now. Very reminiscent of my Cedar Essential Oil soap. Will report back with a 1 month cure report.
People Like This 
Old 11-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #10
Kamahido
Paladin of Soap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamahido View Post
I have made the soap with Frankincense Essential Oil and it has been curing for 2 weeks now. The scent has mellowed just slightly since making it and is quite woodsy now. Very reminiscent of my Cedar Essential Oil soap. Will report back with a 1 month cure report.
Soap has cured for a month now and smells exactly like Texas cedar essential oil. I think I now understand why it is usually mixed with myrrh. 😀

People Like This