100% Coconut Oil Soap Crumbles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpacamper

Reaction score
I left 100% CO 20% SF soleseife soap scented with anise eo in the loaf for 3 hours, apparently too long. I managed 5 decent size intact cakes buy was left with about 150g of crumbles. Other than rebatching, what can I do with these crumbles?

1414349822497.jpg

No, using water to dilute regular soap will produce a nasty snotty mess. I'd powder the crumbles and use the powder in a plastic shaker jar. I do this with my salt bar crumbles and it works great.

I do something similar to Obsidian. I grate up the salt-bar into crumbles (like bread crumbs), and then I add them in place of salt to another salt bar batch.

When cutting batches with lots of salt, I always cut as soon as I see that it has come out of the gel stage, when the soap is still fairly hot.

IrishLass :)

You could make camp soap (like we had tied to field spigots on my uncle's farm). Just tie up your soap scraps into nylons (a couple thick) to make soap in a stocking. Then make a loop at the end to hang up outside. They are great for using up all the little pieces of soap you might have laying around. If it is super crumbly, you might need to moisten your scraps and mush together into a ball. It's not pretty, but it doesn't waste a thing - including old nylons.

No, using water to dilute regular soap will produce a nasty snotty mess. I'd powder the crumbles and use the powder in a plastic shaker jar. I do this with my salt bar crumbles and it works great.

[FONT=&quot]Hmm…I just did it a week ago with my 100% coconut oil soap. I use it as dish soap and absolutely love it. It [FONT=&quot]feels[/FONT] better on hands than Palmolive. I did not add SF or EO though. It should be very hot or boiling water added. I do not see any mess with it yet... :)
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Onsidian, do you use the powder as hand soap?

could you dissolve it in alcohol and make transparent soap or can that only be done pre-saponification?

[FONT=&quot]Hmm…I just did it a week ago with my 100% coconut oil soap. I use it as dish soap and absolutely love it. It [FONT=&quot]feels[/FONT] better on hands than Palmolive. I did not add SF or EO though. It should be very hot or boiling water added. I do not see any mess with it yet... :)
[/FONT]
soapfanbaby, how much water did you use?

Was it Soleseife (lye solution contains salt) or a salt bar (salt poured in to the batter)? 3 hours seems a short amount of time, but then I've never made a Soleseife, only salt bars.
It is my first Solseife (brine soap). I was surprised at how quickly I had to cut the bars. I used sea water to start and added another 16% salt by water weight to make the total salt concentration around 20ish%.

soapfanbaby, how much water did you use?

I use, approximately, 1 part (or less) of grinded coconut oil soap to 4 parts of hot water. It dissolves in a seconds. I refill my countertop soap dispenser often with it as I wash dishes often during the day. I did not plan to use my laundry soap this way, but I ran out of dish soap I usually buy in a store, and… still happy without it. I grinded my whole batch at once when my soap was cooked since I use it for laundry. I am beginner and have not tried to make liquid soap with KOH yet, which is probably better way. But I think dissolving regular soap in water still worth to try as an emergency or instead of throwing it out. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back