Hot oil hair treatment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
I've been playing with a hot oil treatment, and found this one to be the best formulation so far:

33% Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
26% Sunflower oil
7% Avocado oil
15% Jojoba oil
6% Cocoa Butter
6% Avocado Butter
6% Mango Butter
1% EO's, chosen to suit your hair type. I used equal parts of rosemary, frankinsence & sandalwood, as I have dry hair that is regularly coloured & blow dried.

Place all ingredients in a bowl or jug & warm gently in the microwave or a double boiler until the butters are melted and the mixture feels warm.

The best thing I've found to use for application (I have longish hair, down to my shoulder blades) is a cheap basting brush. The cheaper the better - they are usually the sort with the stiff plasticy (sp?) bristles. Pour some of your warm oil mix into a bowl (so you don't waste the whole lot if you happen to get yukkies in the bowl), dip the brush into the mix & work the bristles down the hair shaft, root to tip. I put a little extra on the ends, just for luck!

I then used my blow drier, on the very lowest setting, for a couple of minutes, just to warm everything up again & encourage the oils to soak into the hair shaft. Be really careful, you want the oils to soak into the hair, not fry it :shock: I left it on for a few hours while I was pottering around the house, then washed it out & let it dry naturally. It feels really great today, not heavy or oily, just really silky & soft.

I made a leave in treatment for my daughter and myself because our hair is kinky curly.

Jojoba oil
Sweet Almond oil
Castor oil
Shea oil
Rosemary eo
lavender eo

Smells very herbal and leaves her hair soft and detangled!!

Another good one is
Jojoba oil 2tsp
soybean oil 1tsp
Mix and use like a regular treatment warm up put on your hair heat for 5mins then rinse out.

Latest posts

Back