~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils > Essential Oil Safety

Old 12-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #21
carebear

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aromaworks
I work with essentials oils 3 times per week, for facials and massage. The product range is from Anne semolina and I worry a little as I use them all day for those 3 days all different blends dependent on the clients skin type and concerns..... This is my 2 Nd child and I'm 9 weeks but worried if there will be any abnormalities to the fetus pls someone tell me what to do..........
We're not qualified in any way to answer that question. Please check with your doctor.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:46 AM   #22
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1567 Times on 940 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

I would also recommend that you do research on essential oils that you are using that frequently to learn contra-indicators and make an appointment with not only your doctor but also a qualified aromatherapist.

I'm a little surprised that you would be doing this kind of work without aromatherapy training that would have already taught you what is safe and what is not....

Old 09-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
Fragola

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default Re: Essential Oil Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragola
Do you happen to know which substance contained in citrus oils causes photosensitization ?

For example, citrus oils share "ingredients" with non-citrus oils lemongrass, melissa, litsea, etc.

Is orange peel or neroli also in this category ?
Best questions are ones that you answer yourself:

http://suite101.com/article/photo-toxic ... ils-a69964

A great article about phototoxicity in essential oils.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #24
hoegarden

Liked 115 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Lindy, as you are more experience with Essential oil, how about starting a informative thread of the % of each EO to be used?

I do understand that you emphasize on not more than 3% of EO in soap. I believe that some single EO can go to 3% direct in soap (like lavendar) but some need to be mixed with other EO. I did read that somebody, perhaps yourself, mentioning that it best not to let eucalyptus exceed 0.3%

thus I think this could be a good information if we can share and understand better.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #25
Relle
Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 1583 Times on 923 Posts
Likes Given: 303

[QUOTE=hoegarden;339982]Lindy, as you are more experience with Essential oil, how about starting a informative thread of the % of each EO to be used? QUOTE]

Do you realise how many EO's there are .

Old 06-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
hoegarden

Liked 115 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Perhaps we can start with some common one and add on on the way..? Just a suggestion though.. haha

Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #27
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen

Each Essential Oil has an IFRA maximum recommended usage which should be available where you are buying your essential oils. If it is not available then you need a new supplier...

Old 09-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #28
oranget

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Citrus, i would really like to use citrus EO in lip balms and hand cream. I see them listed on the IFRA sticky thread here, and they are mentioned in this thread.

If I find a bergapten-free bergamot, is that safe, no restrictions, or would that still be limited to a certain, but higher % ?

Are there any preferred/ trustworthy suppliers of the Bergaptene free EO , and ones to avoid ?

Do any other Citrus EO's have a " problem removed " version?

And, Blood orange is not on the IFRA Banned / restricted, would you know what the limit % is ?

Thank You for your knowledge, desire to educate, & prevent sunburn : )

Old 09-02-2014, 03:17 AM   #29
Lindy
Soap Diva Queen

For wash-off products like soap you must stay beneath 3% and you will need to place a warning to avoid the sun for three (3) hours after using the product. For leave-on products like lip balm you should not go over 1% and those are flavours I would not recommend in a lip balm. With a lip balm you need to put the same warning on your label. Not worth it, nor the risk to your customers to use any citrus for flavouring of a lip balm...

Old 09-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #30
tobim

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Lindy,
Thanks for your post.
There is really a lot to learn with Soap making. Its kind of scary when you have to consider the safety accept especially when making products that others will use.
when you talk on percentages, on what do you base the percentage?