White soft spots and GM HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlesand

Reaction score
So I'm pretty new to soap. Made about 4 batches.. 2 cp and 2 hp.

I wanted to try gm soap hp last night. I mixed 5 oz water with my lye. Got my oils mixed and melty, added the 5 oz water/lye when cooled. Got it to trace and realized I should have added my gm. It had cooked some making a volcano dome. I stirred it down, added the gm and it created white lumps. I melted it a while to try and get rid of them all. Small one's remain in the soap that I cut this morning. The small lumps really appeared after I added the gm, not while cooking that I noticed (I know all lye was mixed in). I also added a little extra water to thin out again since I had cooked for so long.

I'm worried about zap testing.. do you think I should? Could it really be uncooked lye.. gm? I'm such a scaredy cat with sticking my tongue on things. The lumps are not hard and are soft just like the soap.

Here's my recipe..
5 oz water
6.3 oz gm
4.54 oz lye

crisco 7.9 oz
olive oil 15 oz
coconut 9 oz
cator .1 oz

I also added about 1 oz extra of olive oil to help mix in the coco powder and 1/2 oz peppermint eo when I thought it was done.

The soap came out looking beautiful and I got it cut exactly as I would dream of doing for once.

Thanks!

Waiting

Okay, so I'm not sure rebatching is the answer.

Really what I probably have is cooked hp soap with some uncooked batter/milk spots. Why not cure it for several weeks and see if it mellows out like in the CP process?

Latest posts

Back