~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~



Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils > Rosewood E.O.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
soapmaker
Soapmaker
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 128
Liked 52 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Rosewood E.O.

I was given an enormous jug of Rosewood E.O. because the lady said it seizes so bad she didn't want to work with it. So I made a Lemon, Rosewood, Lavender, Geranium blend with extra water and cooler temps. It worked well and sells medium well. Any other suggestions?


soapmaker is offline  
MorpheusPA Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png
 
lsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,496
Liked 3184 Times on 2268 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default

According to what I have read, rosewood E.O. blends well with Sweet Orange, Lemon, Lime, Litsea, Ylang Ylang, Rose, and Jasmine


lsg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,785
Liked 2329 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 2740

Default

I did a blend with 2 parts rosewood, 2 parts lemon (now that I know about lemon fading I'd probably use 1/2-1 part litsea or lemograss) and 1 part lavender. Another I liked was rosewood, amyris, ylang and lavender - I don't remember the exact amounts, but it was lighter on the ylang than the rest.
__________________
deciding everything is falling into place perfectly as long as you don’t get too picky about what you mean by place. Or perfectly....
-Brian Andreas
dibbles is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
MorpheusPA
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 691
Liked 620 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Default

I love rosewood with vanilla, heavy on the vanilla and durn the mahogany soap.

It combines well with any floral in light doses and almost any fruit scent. I might avoid strawberry, but that's about it.
MorpheusPA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
soapmaker
Soapmaker
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 128
Liked 52 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorpheusPA View Post
I love rosewood with vanilla, heavy on the vanilla and durn the mahogany soap.

It combines well with any floral in light doses and almost any fruit scent. I might avoid strawberry, but that's about it.
Do you say light doses because of acceleration or scent?
soapmaker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #6
MorpheusPA
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 691
Liked 620 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmaker View Post
Do you say light doses because of acceleration or scent?
Mostly because of the scent. I find sweet odors to be overpowering at times and, on balance, I'd prefer a lot of rosewood to a little accent of a floral.

Florals do tend to accelerate a bit, but I usually know that's going to happen and plan soaping temperature and swirl (if any) appropriately.
MorpheusPA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
soapmaker
Soapmaker
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 128
Liked 52 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorpheusPA View Post
Mostly because of the scent. I find sweet odors to be overpowering at times and, on balance, I'd prefer a lot of rosewood to a little accent of a floral.

Florals do tend to accelerate a bit, but I usually know that's going to happen and plan soaping temperature and swirl (if any) appropriately.
Don't you find Rosewood to accelerate too? I would love to try your suggestion but I was trying to blend it with scents that I know don't accelerate so as to lessen that possibility. My Rosewood came from Wellington Fragrance.
soapmaker is offline  
MorpheusPA Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #8
MorpheusPA
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 691
Liked 620 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmaker View Post
Don't you find Rosewood to accelerate too? I would love to try your suggestion but I was trying to blend it with scents that I know don't accelerate so as to lessen that possibility. My Rosewood came from Wellington Fragrance.
Mine didn't, but I do tend to soap cold (115° absolute maximum) and with fuller water than most seem to use (30% oil weight, absolute floor, more usually 33-35%).

Now plumeria scent, that I have trouble with. And violet, carnation...
MorpheusPA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:41 AM   #9
soapmaker
Soapmaker
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 128
Liked 52 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorpheusPA View Post
Mine didn't, but I do tend to soap cold (115° absolute maximum) and with fuller water than most seem to use (30% oil weight, absolute floor, more usually 33-35%).

Now plumeria scent, that I have trouble with. And violet, carnation...
I haven't tried any of those scents. Soap cold? I soap at 90 to 105! I don't gel. And usually 35% lye solution but with the Rosewood higher water, don't remember what it was without looking at notes.


soapmaker is offline  
MorpheusPA Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rosewood Oil LadyM Lye-Based Soap Forum 5 07-16-2012 07:47 PM
Rosewood and Lemongrass EO's maryannm Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils 9 08-12-2010 01:32 PM



Newest Threads