~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Soap cracking after cure

Old 10-20-2017, 11:59 PM   #11
Chispa

Liked 48 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Thanks for the clear explanation DeeAnna. It makes perfect sense to me. A soap dish will probably help with the problem, but probably not solve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
Another thing that will help is to reformulate your recipe so the bar contains a higher percentage of soap that is not as soluble -- in other words, use more fats high in palmitic and stearic acids, such as palm, lard, or tallow. If you reversed the percentages of coconut and lard, for example, that would be helpful.
I'll try swapping the lard out for tallow, and use a larger proportion of tallow for a more durable bar.

DeeAnna Likes This 
Old 10-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #12
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7856 Times on 4326 Posts
Likes Given: 16483

You can keep using lard. It is the high amount of coconut oil that she is referring to. Tallow and lard used together is my favorite. Tallow for bigger bubbles and extra hardness, lard for that lovely dense lather.

"ingredients:
55% Coconut oil
37% Lard
5% Castor oil
3% lanolin"

Should read more like:

Lard and/or Tallow 55-80%
Coconut Oil 15-20%
Castor Oil 5%
Lanolin 3%

People Like This 
Old 10-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #13
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11236 Times on 5088 Posts
Likes Given: 5021

I don't see a huge difference between tallow and lard as far as adding longevity to the soap. Tallow tends to make a harder bar -- brittle even. But physical hardness is not the same thing as durability/longevity, and I know people often confuse the two.

Like Susie says, a blend of both is nice, but I prefer the lard to dominate. My latest recipe contains both at 3 parts lard to 1 part tallow to give an idea of the proportions. If I had to pick only one to use, I'd pick lard over tallow.
People Like This 
Old 10-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #14
Chispa

Quote:
I don't see a huge difference between tallow and lard as far as adding longevity to the soap. Tallow tends to make a harder bar -- brittle even. But physical hardness is not the same thing as durability/longevity, and I know people often confuse the two.
With tallow having much more stearic acid than lard, I would not have suspected lard of having better longevity. That's very interesting!

Old 10-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #15
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11236 Times on 5088 Posts
Likes Given: 5021

"...With tallow having much more stearic acid than lard, I would not have suspected lard of having better longevity...."

I didn't intend for you to take my comments as saying lard makes a longer lived soap than tallow. That was poor writing on my part. I was thinking more about soap in general and people in general when I said that physical hardness is often confused with longevity.

IMO, the total % of palmitic and stearic acids is a good measure of the durability or longevity of a bar, not just stearic alone.

I agree that tallow has more stearic + palmitic than lard does, and I agree that a high or all tallow bar is definitely hard and long lasting. But there's such a thing as too much of a good thing. In my experience, soap with a high % of tallow is too insoluble and too hard. A high tallow bar of soap can be brittle and thus difficult to cut. As Susie pointed out, the lather of a high tallow soap is also not as abundant and pleasant, compared to lard.

I hope this clears up the confusion I've caused.
People Like This 
Old 10-23-2017, 12:23 AM   #16
Chispa

Quote:
"
IMO, the total % of palmitic and stearic acids is a good measure of the durability or longevity of a bar, not just stearic alone.

I agree that tallow has more stearic + palmitic than lard does, and I agree that a high or all tallow bar is definitely hard and long lasting. But there's such a thing as too much of a good thing. In my experience, soap with a high % of tallow is too insoluble and too hard. A high tallow bar of soap can be brittle and thus difficult to cut. As Susie pointed out, the lather of a high tallow soap is also not as abundant and pleasant, compared to lard.
That makes perfect sense and jives well with what I understand about soap. Thanks for clearing that up!
DeeAnna Likes This 
Old 10-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #17
SaltedFig

Liked 506 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 566

Just to add a little ... I believe that reducing the time and the temperature of the CPOP (perhaps even to no extra heat at all for this recipe) would also help.

And hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chispa View Post
The lanolin is waxy, but not solid wax, more like a vaseline texture. The batter was reasonably warm to melt the coconut oil. The batter was clear not cloudy when I made it. I seem to remember the lanolin accelerating it quite quickly. I think it was at a very heavy trace. It was my third or fourth soap, and I wasnt taking as detailed notes back then. I CPOPed it at 65C for three hours.