What's a good newbie candle site?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TessC

Reaction score
I've checked Google but there's just so much conflicting info floating around. Is there a good basic Candles 101 site along the lines of the Miller Soap site that'll give me some good solid beginner-friendly information?

I'm not even entirely sure I want to venture into candles yet, I mainly want to see what's involved first. TIA!

You are better off going to your local library. These books are good.
1: Making Candles and Soap For Dummies..........By Kelly Ewing.
Personally I like this one the best.
2:The Candlemakers Companion..........By Betty Oppenheimer
3: The Candlemaker...........By Claire Leavey

These books are also avaialble through the internet for a reasonable price.

Just as a followup, I've done a LOT of reading over the past week and a half and have come to the conclusion that candles are a project for another time for me. I'm still very much interested in learning someday, but I lack the time and resources to do it right now. (The soap already takes enough of both! :lol: )

I appreciate the answers I got here and via PM, and have filed them away for later. :)

You can try it without spending an arm and a leg

I've been dying to try candles myself. I read that container candles are the easiest for a beginner.

I have been checking my local thrift stores and have come up with a few apothacary jars for under $1.00 each. There were a lot of other bowls/cups/vases there also for less than 50 cents that could have made nice containers. Ikea sells bowls that would make beautiful candles for $.99 if you have one near you. A case of jelly jars from Walmart would only be a few bucks.

I have plenty of scents from my soapmaking, and I'll bet you do too. I'm sure you also have plenty of measuring items and your scale that you use for soapmaking.

I found an eBay seller who sells the 11 lb. slabs of J-50 Astrolite wax (a single pour container candle wax) for $10. That may not be the worlds most perfect wax, I don't know. And maybe it isn't the one I would choose once I gain some knowledge/experience, but I'm sure it's fine to start with.

I will probably also find an old pot with a pour spout or an old coffee pot at the thrift store to melt wax and all I need beyond that to give it a try is some good wicks and a wick bar. Maybe I'll invest in some tealight cups and wicks so I have someplace to pour any leftover wax if I overestimate for my container.

I can pass on the color for now, although color chips do not seem to be expensive either.

I'm sure that if I decide that candle making is something I want to do a lot of I will eventually invest in more and better equipment a little at a time, but I think that by scrounging around a bit, it could be a fun thing to play around with without breaking the bank.

I would encourage you to think outside the box. Sometimes part of the game for me, and a lot of the fun, is in seeing how creative I can be about finding ways to do things without spending much money.

Before going to an ebay seller......[ Not knocking ebay or anything...I use them too] You need to do a search for Candle Supply Wholesalers. Better Quality wax. Fortunately I have one in my back yard but have done my business with Peak Candle Supplies out of Denver. You would would be better off using the I.G.I series of waxes :
I.G.I. 4630A One Pour Container Wax
I.G.I 6006 Vintage Container Blend
Or
I.G.I 4786 Classic Container Blend
Alittle more expensive but worth it !

The J waxes by Astrolite are excellent waxes. They have a wonderful cold and hot throw and are easy to work with. I have used both the J-50 and the J-223 and like both. I prefer the J-50 because it has less shrinkage than the J-223 and is a one pour wax. However, the J-223 has a slightly better hot and cold throw than the J-50. Astrolite also has a super wax. I think its J-60 or J-655 or something like that. I can hold up to 1 1/1 oz of fragrance oil if you like to add more scent to your candles. It also has a higher price tag because of its formulation.

IGI waxes are also good and they have the added luxory of being slightly more available than some others. Almost any supplier that sells parrafin sells IGI. Not all suppliers sell J waxes but there are many that do.

I second Carebear about going to craftserver.com. Its a great candlemaking forum for anyone wanting to make candles. Lots of information and help there.

I haven't done candles yet, but want to. ONLY for myself though because the liability with selling those is like heavy. But I think I am going to get the starter kit from peak.... not too bad of a price and has good scents! I'm a candle fanatic, and normally buy Gold Canyon, but think I might try making my own!

Back