New To Soaping, a question about Melt & Pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pockykai

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm very new to soaping, I've been watching so many video the past few months and decided I wanted to give it a go. I want to eventually try Cold Processed soaps, but I figured it would be better to start off with Melt and Pour as a beginner, just to get the feel of pouring, colouring and fragrancing soap before starting to delve into the more complex stuff.

But i was just wondering, I've been looking online for melt and pour bases, and there are several types, as in Honey based, Goats milk Based, etc... So i was wondering which would people recommend to use for first time users? Before I branch out into other various types.

~Kai

Hello and Welcome....when you have a minute introduces yourself in the introduction forum.

You can use any kind you would like. I would just recommend using quality product. Wholesale Supplies Plus, Brambleberry etc. I use WSP for the bit of MP I do. Generally jus embeds or fun kid things. I like the Shea Butter, or Clear or Goat's Milk bases. Also, low sweat versions seem to be a bit better as well.

Hello :wave:
In my humble opinion cp soap is much easier than m&p, but then I totally suck at working with m&p, my daughter does lovely work though. I will warn you that working with colors in m&p is no where near working with colorants in cp soap. I do think WSP's base is easier than some to work with, even though it is not our favorite as far as feel, but could be a good place to start

Hello Kai - SFIC is another brand of soap base. They will sell you one of each (19) of the bases they make in 1lb blocks for a very low price - It's one to a new customer, but it was a great way for me to try their bases.

I like their bases best because of their ingredients

I would honestly try a kit at first. Just about all sellers have them and you don't need to actually follow the kit ideas.

My reasoning for the kit is that you get one or two bases as well as a discount on colorants, molds, fragrance, ect. The wholesale supplies plus kits even come with all the droppers and gloves you'll need (at least per their kit instructions, you might need more of something if you don't make a full everything at once.) My only advice when choosing a kit would be to 1) get a loaf mold based one to have more freedom with what you can design (then you already have your loaf as you start to branch out and experiment), and 2) double check that you have a kit with two bases (usually a white and clear).

Thanks for all the advice guys :) in the end I got three bases to try, an Olive oil base, a honey base and a Shea butter base. I did look for a kit but all the websites I was looking on (well at least all the UK based websites) didn't have anything that i really wanted or that seemed applicable. so i figured there only about £4.50 each and that's not too much for the amount you get, so lets just have a play around. :)

I'm improvising with the moulds, i bought a wine box for a loaf mould and a tea storage box for a rectangular mould. so hopefully they will do okay with a bit of grease proof paper as a lining :)

Back