Liquid candle dyes question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillsandwitch

Reaction score
My little yet taller brother has really gotten into making candles lately. I was thinking of getting him some supples for Christmas but I have a couple of questions before I purchase them.

With the liquid dyes do you need to use much to get a decent colour to the wax? I was thinking of getting him a 4.5kg block of the paraffin wax he likes and a half dozen dyes. I can get the dyes in 10ml (5.50) and 25ml (10.50). I just dont know how far they go so suggestions on which sizer to get would be great. He had been using the colour blocks up until now and I thought the liquid dyes were more concentrated.

TIA
Dill

I recently started making candles and I'm having way too much fun! I have 1 oz bottles and the recommended use is 7 drops per lb of wax to color at .05%. I've used it up to 10 drops per lb for deep color but usually I only need about 4-5 drops. So I'd say get him the liquid as a little goes a really long way, plus it's easier to control the amount of color you want.

My supplies have come from Peak Candle Supply in Denver, CO (USA) so I don't know if their usage rates are different from other suppliers.

He'll love getting candle supplies for Christmas! :)

You might be better off getting soy wax rather than paraffin as it burns cleaner. I use the dye blocks but I'm only doing small candles and melts so don't need much.

I personally make my own color blocks with liquid candle dyes. I just weigh a small amount of the block to make the candle, mostly because I sometimes am making small amounts of candles and want a half or a quarter of one drop...not easy to measure!! I think that the liquid dyes make much deeper colors with less, and I like to make my own colors as well. I have one ounce bottles and I have a feeling that they might last forever...I'm sure for a gift the smaller sizes will be fine, a really good place to start him off. Great gift idea!! :)

You will be fine with the paraffin. The clean burning of a candle is dependent on the wicking, so proper wicking is very important. No matter the combustible it can burn clean, or not.

Latest posts

Back