Scraps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katrax

Reaction score
Hello .. I am new to CP Soap making and have now made over 100 bars in a short time - addictive!
However, when I package some or just trim them, I have lots of scraps left over. So far I have been putting them
in a bowl saving them - but what can I do with them now? Re-batch? I don't want to waste them.

You can throw them into your next batch of soap & have confetti soap.

I use a lot of my scraps by using them in the shower with a soap saver. Just in case you don't know what that is, it's a crocheted (or in some cases knitted or netted) bag that you can put the soap in to use it.
Mine look like this

Thanks for the info. How do you do crock pot soap? Do you use more lye or just heat up the scraps in the crock pot?

2lilboots said:
or grate up and make laundry soap

That's a good idea. Does it matter at all that they're different? Different ingredients i.e., some with shea butter some with cocoa butter and I also only use essential oils not fragrance oils. Will any of that matter?

Katrax said:
2lilboots said:

That's a good idea. Does it matter at all that they're different? Different ingredients i.e., some with shea butter some with cocoa butter and I also only use essential oils not fragrance oils. Will any of that matter?

It didn't seem to matter for the laundry soap I made. I ended up adding lavender FO to my finished batch of laundry soap but once washed I don't smell the FO, but my clothes do smell clean. Now I make the liquid type, where you grate the soap melt it in boiling water then add the borax and washing soda and stir til disolved.

2lilboots said:
Katrax said:
2lilboots said:

It didn't seem to matter for the laundry soap I made. I ended up adding lavender FO to my finished batch of laundry soap but once washed I don't smell the FO, but my clothes do smell clean. Now I make the liquid type, where you grate the soap melt it in boiling water then add the borax and washing soda and stir til disolved.

Thanks maybe I'll do that when I have a bunch of pieces. I'v wanted to make my own laundry soap :)

But trust me, only took the amount of basically a 5 oz bar of soap to make the laundry soap, so you will still have scraps left over to embed or rebatch or even put into a lovely crochet bag and use in the shower. I have a box of scraps, sometimes I embed them into the bottoms of my cupcakes just so there is something a little different about the soap. But I was starting to realized that I will never embed all those pieces of soap.

Genny said:
You can throw them into your next batch of soap & have confetti soap.

I use a lot of my scraps by using them in the shower with a soap saver. Just in case you don't know what that is, it's a crocheted (or in some cases knitted or netted) bag that you can put the soap in to use it.
Mine look like this

Genny, I am really glad you posted a picture of the soap saver. My daughter has been self-teaching the art of crochet. She recently made herself a little pouch for her purse that can hold/hide femenine products. She found a closure clasp at the fabric store and asked me to get it, then she finished it up a couple of days ago. If she can do that off the top of her head I'm sure she can make me a soap bag. I have plenty of soap scraps too. And I hate to waste the little piece that is left at the end of using up a bar. I am going to show her the picture :D

Katrax said:
lsg said:
Katrax said:
Thanks for the info. How do you do crock pot soap? Do you use more lye or just heat up the scraps in the crock pot?

No don't add lye, just some liquid. Here is a tutorial:

http://www.pvsoap.com/instructions_for_rebatch.htm

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I know with my new found addiction to soap making, there will be lots of little bits.

I was looking at someones website and they made little balls of soaps using their scraps. They were actually very pretty.

I showed my girl the picture of the scrap bag. She says she can, "totally do that". Hahaha! Cute teenager! I just have to get her an appropriate kind of yarn. Yay-ness!

Genny said:
Ruthie said:
What kind of yarn works best for the bags?

I use 100% cotton, like this http://www.joann.com/needle-arts/yarn/l ... ream-yarn/

But I know some people prefer the scrubiness of acrylic.

Just don't use wool since it'll be used in water. :wink:

Most wallyworlds carry that yarn as well. I think I paid $1.77 a sk for the small and around $7 for the lb cone. I like getting the cones because whenever I buy yarn I always think of more projects I can use it for.

2lilboots said:
Most wallyworlds carry that yarn as well. I think I paid $1.77 a sk for the small and around $7 for the lb cone. I like getting the cones because whenever I buy yarn I always think of more projects I can use it for.

I think that's where I got my last cones of it as well. I usually only get it from Joanns if I have the 40% or 50% off coupons, or if they're on clearance. :)

Back