Mica and fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecobean

Reaction score
I ordered a sampler kit of Micas (the earthtone one) and also a sampler of best selling fragrance from bramble berry, which I recieved the other day. My problem is that I have no idea how much fragrance and mica to add. I kept adding mica infused with glycerin to my soap and it wasn't changing the color- same with the fragrance- I added what I thought was a decent amount and the soap has no fragrance. What did I do wrong?
I am assuming I did not add enough but how much of this stuff are you supposed to use?

ecobean said:
same with the fragrance- I added what I thought was a decent amount and the soap has no fragrance. What did I do wrong?
I am assuming I did not add enough but how much of this stuff are you supposed to use?

what kind of soap are you making?

how much FO did you think was a decent amount?

and how much mica did you add? oh btw - not all (not many?) micas are stable in CP soaps - the high pH morphs the colors sometimes.

Well, it was an olive oil soap and I added a good amount of mica with no change- I did it last, hot process in my slow cooker. Fragrance oil somewhere in between a teaspoon and tablespoon. It was really strong on my hands but non existant in the soap. :-(

Some mica's won't show up in soap. There's not many, but a few.
Your supplier would have in their product descriptions if the mica's aren't suitable for cp soap.
In soapcalc, there is a section on the top right hand corner, where you can choose how much fragrance (what concentration per kg) you want to use, and it calculates how much you'll need based on your batch size.
It's generally 2-3 %, dependent on the fragrance. Stronger ones obviously you use less, weaker scents you can add a little more.

Back