Scott's Marketplace?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm comparing fees for different sites, and Scott's has no listing fees, and charges 4.99%. Meanwhile, Etsy charges $.20 and 3.5%. I like that if using Scott's, I would only pay if it sells, but does Etsy get so much more traffic that it would be worth the fee?
I'll add that I don't expect a large amount of online sales, I'll use it more for the folks passing through my area to reorder easily, and to have a "website" without having to pay for my own just yet.
Any input would be appreciated.

I'll be honest, I never heard of Scott's so I would think Etsy gets a ton more traffic. Most people have at least heard of etsy even if they haven't gone there.

I've never heard of them either. And keep in mind that Etsy has another fee if you use their checkout (which varies by country, https://www.etsy.com/help/article/2028).

For example, if a customer purchases a $10 item (plus $2 for shipping and $0.96 sales tax), I pay Etsy:

$0.20 listing fee
$0.35 for selling the item
$0.64 for using Etsy's checkout

Makes Scott's even more reasonable, but I would worry about traffic. I have a hard enough time selling on Etsy.

Edited: I just checked out Scott's. They don't have their own checkout so you have to use PayPal--and pay their fees.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I'm like everyone else, have never heard of Scott's either. That seems like a bad sign in terms of exposure/sales. I don't think I would use them as my only sales outlet. Is there any downside to using Etsy, *and* trying on Scott's for a while to see how it goes (since listing is free?)

I'm afraid I'm like everyone else, have never heard of Scott's either. That seems like a bad sign in terms of exposure/sales. I don't think I would use them as my only sales outlet. Is there any downside to using Etsy, *and* trying on Scott's for a while to see how it goes (since listing is free?)

There really isn't a downside to more than one at this point. I have an Etsy page, although for all the listings I've done, I haven't done very well in sales. Most of my listings kind of pale in comparison to others, as I use one good- I think- photo with a scent description and ingredient list. I'm not very good with all the in depth stuff, like some others are. Since my listings are due to expire this week, I have to decide what to renew, and I have some new stuff to add.
I did a page on Scott's Market this morning with 16 listings. I've already had several visitors and a few products favorited, so we'll see... Scott's caught my eye only because it's been on my FB page, and a few of my non-local friends have mentioned it to me.

Back