Easy peasy bath melts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenny92

Reaction score
For years, I've been buying stupidly expensive bath melts from LUSH. Yesterday, I realised how easy it is to make them myself!

I use mini cupcake silicone baking moulds, the melts are around 10g and I like to use 2 for a nice, fragrant and "oily" bath, but you could just use one. This recipe makes 9 little melts - increase or decrease quantities as needed. The general consensus is 2 parts cocoa butter (or other hard oil/butter) to 1 part sweet almond oil (or other soft oil, but SAO is nice as it's not too "heavy").

60g cocoa butter
30g sweet almond oil
A few drops of your favourite essential oil or fragrance oil

Melt cocoa butter over double boiler - I just use 2 pots. Add SAO and fragrance, and pour into moulds. Easy! Pop them in the freezer if you need them to harden up quicker, and keep cool or refrigerated until use.

I like to split my oil into 2 batches and scent half with chocolate FO, and the other half with sweet orange EO and lemongrass. Use 1 of each for a chocolate-y, orange-y bath!

Thanks for sharing! I started looking into making my own bath melts and truffles just last night. I see a very luxurious bath in my future!

You could sub out some of the butter for emulsifying wax (I like btms 50) to help cut down on oil residue in the tub. Like 5% of the total weight.

Probably like most of you, I usually take showers not baths. No time, in too much of a hurry, hop in, soap up, rinse off, hop out. But every once in a while, there's nothing like a long, soak in the tub. I did that just yesterday, and I added a mix I had made of epsom salt, dead sea salt and a couple of other salts I can't remember. It was great, but I kept thinking it was missing something......fragrance! And "oily" would be nice too. I think I'm gonna make myself up a batch of these, and keep them in a nice jar in the bathroom. Now that I'm retired, I have no excuse not to take more baths. Thanks a bunch for this!

You could sub out some of the butter for emulsifying wax (I like btms 50) to help cut down on oil residue in the tub. Like 5% of the total weight.

Yup - a great suggestion. I don't mind cleaning the bath afterwards, but I know that it's a pain for most people. I've started using polysorbate 80 which helps my oils to incorporate with the water, rather than the oils forming a layer on top of the water.

Latest posts

Back