Party Finger Food?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
So tomorrow I'm going to a friend's birthday party, and she encouraged us to bring snacks. There will be pizza and birthday cake available.

I'm trying to figure out what I should bring. Not helping things are the facts that a) I'm on a tight budget, b) I don't have a working oven, and c) I'm super-picky and want to be able to eat what I bring!

I do have a mini muffin maker, and I'm thinking of taking advantage of it. Maybe little mini cornbreads and bacon muffins? I have a honey cornbread mix, and I'm torn between leaving it plain and adding things to it... On the one hand, I've never liked added onions/peppers/whole corn in my cornbread... On the other hand, I'd never be able to make the cornbread I DO like in my mini muffin maker (I grew up with a grandmother that made true southern cornbread, not sweet, and with the edges fried between the hot oil and cast iron skillet).

Bacon muffins I could skip the sugar, which would make it much better for me. (One of my things is I can't stand mixing sweet and savory.)

On the other hand, I have bananas in the freezer that I could use to make little banana muffins, and banana muffins wouldn't compete with cake, would they? >_>

I'm also trying to keep it to finger food. We'll be playing all sorts of board and card games, and I don't want the food to interfere with that.

Stale or toasted bread with bruschetta of some sort? Chips or veggies and dip? MY go-to is always cheese platters with cheeses, olives, pickles and pickled veggies, salami, chopped veggies or fruit, and nuts (if I have any) with bread or crackers or pita or not. But thats the sort of stuff I always have in my pantry.

The mini cornbread muffins sound tasty, maybe sprinkle some chopped bacon on top of them?

I have both a food processor and blender, but ice cream wouldn't be a good idea... I'm not hosting, and there's no way of knowing if they'd have the bowls/spoons necessary for ice cream. That's why I liked the idea of using my mini muffin maker-- anything I make out of that would be only one or two bites, and leave very little mess. (Especially if I don't use liners--I find them to be a big hassle when trying to eat, and you lose a lot of the muffin sticking to the paper.)

or popsicles? stick the pureed banana mixture into the mini muffin tins with a popsicle stick? that way ppl can just grab and nibble/suck

what about a spicy cornbread with some sort of dip? (I sense you're leaning towards cornbread...)

I suggest you make the cornbread exactly the way you want it. If it's unsweetened plain, perhaps bring along a little whipped butter with honey, for those who like sweet cornbread. AND make banana muffins too!

I'd be afraid of popsicles melting. Heh.

I'm mostly leaning towards items that can be made in the muffin maker, since they tend to be good finger food that can be left out at room temp and are easily portable. Heh. I also have a lot of baking stuff, nevermind that I can only bake with my mini muffin maker or my bread machine. I do have a package of cornbread mix that would make enough mini cornbreads, though I'm unsure what to do with it. It's hard for me to leave mixes undoctored, but at the same time this is a mix that will produce a sweet-cakey northern cornbread to begin with. XD I don't even remember why I bought it. Probably was on a real good sale.I laos have a go-to mix that I love for muffins, so any kind of muffin would be easy.

It was only after I had made the cornbread and the taste was off that I thought to check--the mix was two years out of date. Yuck! So I ended up scrambling for something else to make, and ended up doing a cheesy drop biscuit dough, for cheesy bites. They turned out yum.

And most of the other people attending didn't even bother to bring anything. Heh

Whatever you make, always include bacon in it. That crispy fried edge between the cornbread and iron skillet is the result of the melted bacon grease in the preheated skillet before the cornbread is poured in. At least it is in my house. Yum.

Last edited:
The original plan was to make a non-bacon and a bacon item (I know too many vegetarians and pescatarians to make everything bacon). I ended up not having enough time and so did not end up cooking the bacon.

sounds yum!! (the biscuit dough, not the 2 yr old corn bread mix....).

isn't it kind of annoying when ppl don't bring anything to a pot luck?

sounds yum!! (the biscuit dough, not the 2 yr old corn bread mix....).

isn't it kind of annoying when ppl don't bring anything to a pot luck?

Yes it is! Equally annoying is when people bring potluck food to a planned dinner party (arghh! It's called a dinner menu people!)

yea.....a few years ago my bf decided to have a pot luck at our house. a bunch of ppl came super late, didn't bring food, didn't say hello to me, the co-host, ate everyone else's food, then left. I was LIVID. to this day, i don't talk to these ppl (they've met me at least 3 times, been to my house and still don't know who i am...so i don't feel bad). so rude!!!!

It wasn't labelled as a potluck, but a lot of folks took the info passed out as more of a suggestion than what the birthday girl was hoping. I was the first person there, and I didn't even arrive at the beginning of the 'start' window too. Heh

Super simple & cheap & tasty dessert:
1. get spring roll pastry
2. cut banana in small long pieces
3. roll the pastry with banana with small amount of sugar and cheese/chocolate inside
4. fried until the pastry gets brown
5. make sure you drained the oil properly

It's crispy, sweet and super easy. Oh, addictive too. I used to make it when we have potluck, never have any left at the end of the day.

Last edited:
oh my! I've had that dessert before at a resto, with chocolate sauce and whipped cream. TO DIE FOR!

Latest posts

Back