Hello From Michigan

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLKTea

Reaction score
I made a post a couple of days ago asking a question about my 3rd batch of soap and have just now got the time for my introduction post.

I'm a 23 y/o Male. I'm not sure what got me into soap. I had just been thinking about it for a while, fascinated with the chemistry of it all. After learning more and more about soap making I figured id give it a try some time.

I work at a HomeGoods and one day i saw we had gotten in an immersion blender. I, not having one, thought that was a sign to start gathering the supply's to make my 1st batch of soap. For my 1st batch of soap I used 16 oz of coconut oil and 8 oz of hemp seed oil, 2 Tbsp Peppermint EO and I substituted 100% of my water for Milk.
Afew weeks into the cure process i was doing some more research into soap and learned that using more then 30% coconut oil can make a bar to cleansing and might dry the skin.

After learning that I sent out to make my second batch of soap. The idea for this bar was a very hard long lasting body wash bar. I used 50 Oz of cocoa butter, 25 Oz of coconut oil, 16 Oz Olive Oil, 16 Oz Grapeseed oil, 10 Oz sunflower seed oil, .5 Oz peppermint EO, .5 Oz Lemon EO, .5 Oz Lime EO and i substituted 100% of my water for Red Wine. I also put activated charcoal powder in, not sure how much i just dumped the bag until my trace turned a nice gray color. Its a brittle bar but iv been enjoying it.

For my 3rd batch I wanted to try to make a shampoo bar. I used 12 oz Castor oil, 10 oz Cocoa Butter, 30 oz Coconut oil ,34 oz Olive oil, 10 oz Stearic Acid, 2 egg yolks and I substituted 100% of my water for Almond Milk. But iv been learning that for shampoos most people want alot less cleansing power for there shampoo bar and that Stearic acid might not have been the best choice. So now i plot my 4th batch. again a shampoo bar but this time im thinking low cleansing power and a higher superfat %

As i researched shampoo and soap I learned that conditioners are completely different and have actually made my own conditioner Bar from 30% Cocoa butter, 30% BTMS 50, 20 % Cetyl alcohol, 5% coconutoil, 15% castor oil, and some cedar wood EO. I'v used it I think it works great!

I'm also a graphic designer, So when i gift my soaps or even sell them making a great label will be super easy.

Glad to join abd be apart of this forum, Ill keep you all posted on my soap journey!

Welcome, also from Michigan. Sounds like you are having fun experimenting! Lots of great info to dig through here.

Welcome to the forum! Are you cleaning an army? ;) That is a lot of soap. And a lot of enthusiasm! I like it.

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are making large batches of soap. Smaller batches will give you a chance to experiment more with less expense.:)

Back