Asking for Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
I am posting this here with permission from Patty in hopes there may be a few soapers who still have soap & other goodies to donate to yet another plea for donations after the wrath of Hurricane Harvey.
Dear soaping friends,

My oldest son, Monty (Richard L. Monty Gonzales) is an ROTC instructor at Winston Churchill High School in San Antonio, Texas. He and his cadets decided to gather donations for the small town of Wharton, which was devastated by hurricane Harvey, but pretty much forgotten in the rush to help Houston. They will be going back to Wharton in two weeks, with more donations, so that would give anyone who wanted to help out some time to get things together.

Right now one of the biggest needs is hygiene products, like soap, hand sanitizer, deodorant, shampoo, bug spray, and so on. If there are any of you out there that have things like your "not so pretty soaps", and would like to donate them, please contact my son.

They are also accepting cash donations (100% goes to relief efforts, and you can specify what you want the money spent on.My daughter-in-law is doing the shopping, so you just need to tell her what you want her to buy, and she will do it), and $20 gift cards to Walmart is another option. It has to be to Walmart, as it is the only store in the area that is still opened. All other stores were damaged in the flood, and have had to close until repairs are made.

If you are interested in donating, you can message him https://www.facebook.com/richard.l.gonzales?pnref=friends.search
and he will give you mailing information.

Here is Monty's post: Richard L. Monty Gonzales (this is his facebook identity) I have some amazing students supported by a generous community. Thanks to their generosity and hard work we have delivered much needed supplies to Wharton, Texas. They need a tremendous amount of support. Our trailer was full (so was the bed of my old beat up truck)....families were picking up items as fast as we could pull them off the trailer. In this small community, 1,400 homes were destroyed.

Thanks in advance to any of you who are willing to help our son and his cadets in this effort. Patty Gonzales

My son's address is:Monty Gonzales
1333 Arroyo Verde
Schertz, Tx 78154

He and his cadets will be thankful for you kindness and caring, and so am I!

Zany, I have some soap I can donate, but I am not on FB, is the address you have listed here the mailing address to send soap?

ETA: I tried the link you included just in case I could still use it even though I'm not a FB user but it says the page isn't available.

Last edited:
is the address you have listed here the mailing address to send soap?
Yes! PS: I don't do facebook either.
icon_neutral.gif

Medium flat rate box okay?
I * might * have one or two I can spare.:mrgreen:
icon_mrgreen.gif
Sure!
The link actually does work, I just sent him a message. Will send what I can fit in a med flat rate box
That's terrific, Carolyn!
I had to scrounge to find something to send... pulled flaxseed shampoo and a dozen shaving soaps out of our private stash, a batch of recently rebatched soap scraps, and 6 lemon eucalyptus body mist/ mosquito repellent.

Should go out today.
It's fun, isn't it?! While boxing up my items, it felt like Christmas came early! :mrgreen:

I emailed Patty yesterday (Wednesday Sept 30) to see if it's too late to send soap. Here's her reply:
Hi Cee! No, it isn't too late. I will let my son know that it is on that way...and again, thank you so much for your help. It is so heartwarming to know that there are people like you, who are willing to help. Thank you also for getting your soaping buddies to help with this. Would you please thank them profusely for me? I can't tell you how much it is appreciated, not just by me and my son & his cadets, but by the folks who are in such need. I know that if they had the chance, they would want you to know how thankful they are.
So if there's anyone out there who would like to join in this effort, there's still time to get a box in the mail. USPS Regional Rate Box A saves on shipping cost and can hold 32 bars. But you don't have to send soap. See Post #1 for other items greatly needed.

I received another Email from Patty today.
Me, again, lol. Did you, or maybe one of your wonderful soaping friends who are also offering to donate, try to contact my son? He texted me this morning saying that he had messages from a couple of my soaping friends, but as soon as he tried to answer them, they vanished, and he wasn't able to retrieve them. Do you think you could check with the other soapers and ask if maybe they had tried to reach him? If so, would they please try again, as he doesn't want to ignore anybody, and has no way to get those messages back. I believe they would have contacted him through Facebook.
Thank you (yet again...)
So for those who tried to contact Monty through FB, please try again.
Thanks.gif

I have a couple of bars I can send if they are still in need. I don't do FB so can't message him. Let me know and I'll fill up a flat rate box and get it in the mail ASAP. Hopefully, I don't have to put labels on each bar with ingredients???

I have a couple of bars I can send if they are still in need. I don't do FB so can't message him. Let me know and I'll fill up a flat rate box and get it in the mail ASAP.
Please do. That would be terrific.

Hopefully, I don't have to put labels on each bar with ingredients???
I'm pretending I didn't read that question... :mrgreen:

Will sending 72 unscented guest bars be ok? They are individually wrapped and labeled. Plus filling in with other regular size bars if needed?
That would be wonderful if you can squeeze it into your schedule, Sandy. I know how busy you are. What's that saying? "If you want something done, just ask a busy man", or in this case, woman! LOL

Thanks all, for your generosity.

Back