Hi .. very new to soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ida72

Reaction score
Hi!

My name is Ida and I am currently residing in Windhoek, Namibia. Having been here a year, I am developing an interest in soap-making based on the amazing produce that are available here. I am still at the reading stage but will be getting my hand on some Ghanaian Shea butter and marula oil to experiment soon.

I am a full time home-maker, love reading and traveling. Would love to learn as much as I can.

Hi Ida and Welcome. There is a lot of helpful information available here. I highly recommend reading the last 10 pages of so of the beginners section and the lye soap section. Feel free to ask questions.

Thank you Shunt for the welcome.

Yes, I am reading the "Basic Soap Making Handout" by Kathy Miller, and will definitely read handling lye carefully. I am excited, but also nervous about making my first batch of soap, so will spend this week (and maybe the next few weeks) reading the basics and taking notes.

So glad to be here!

Thanks Jewels and Susie,

I am excited but also worried. Yes, looking forward to my first bar of soap too! Hopefully will have a lot of nice bars to give away by end of the year :)

Welcome Ida! It may seem scary at first to handle lye, but as long as you do it safely, you have nothing to worry about. Make sure to use gloves and safety goggles. Treat the lye carefully - do not put it somewhere where it's easy to knock over with an elbow. When I have made my lye solution in my plastic pitcher and I'm waiting for it to cool, I move it to the back of my counter against the back wall, out of harm's way.

Check out the Soaping 101 videos on Youtube! And familiarize yourself with lye calculators. My fave is Soapee. Good luck!

Hi Ida,

Welcome! Lye can be very dangerous if you're not careful, but take it easy, wear your PPE and keep your batches small and basic at first and you don't have anything to worry about. Make certain there are no small children, animals or any major distractions in the work area. A lot of people don't, but I use a full face respirator when I'm mixing lye because I like to be a little over-cautious. I mix all of my lye outside in my backyard, so when I have everything on (full face respirator, goggles, heavy duty gloves, heavy duty apron)... my neighbors are probably thinking I'm a mad scientist! :mrgreen:

Welcome Ida! It may seem scary at first to handle lye, but as long as you do it safely, you have nothing to worry about. Make sure to use gloves and safety goggles. Treat the lye carefully - do not put it somewhere where it's easy to knock over with an elbow. When I have made my lye solution in my plastic pitcher and I'm waiting for it to cool, I move it to the back of my counter against the back wall, out of harm's way.

Check out the Soaping 101 videos on Youtube! And familiarize yourself with lye calculators. My fave is Soapee. Good luck!

Thank you Toxicon for the encouragement and amazing tips. Will definitely look up Soaping 101 videos, and put the Lye bottle against the wall on the counter top. I am a royal klutz so, seriously that bottle needs to stay away from me!

Hi Ida,

Welcome! Lye can be very dangerous if you're not careful, but take it easy, wear your PPE and keep your batches small and basic at first and you don't have anything to worry about. Make certain there are no small children, animals or any major distractions in the work area. A lot of people don't, but I use a full face respirator when I'm mixing lye because I like to be a little over-cautious. I mix all of my lye outside in my backyard, so when I have everything on (full face respirator, goggles, heavy duty gloves, heavy duty apron)... my neighbors are probably thinking I'm a mad scientist! :mrgreen:

LOL.. I will probably look the same to my neighbours too :). Will definitely make my soap when everybody is away at work and in school.

Thank you for your tips and encouragement. I am looking at all the lovely photos of soap in the Soap Project Registry. AMAZING!!

Welcome Ida :bunny:. I would not not waste Marula oil in soap, unless it is inexpensive for you, but make a nice balm with it so it stays on your skin. It sounds like a lovely exotic oil.

Thanks Earlene and Cmzaha,

So glad to be here. Yes, Marula is quite hard to get outside southern africa. It has yet to be produced by co-operatives the way that shea butter is being produced in Ghana. It is said to have really good properties as it is high in antioxidants and according to African Botanicals:

"Marula Oil is rich in essential fatty acids Omega 9 - oleic and Omega 6 - linoleic that deeply hydrate and reduce redness while nourishing, healing, moisturizing and improving skin elasticity."

Yes, maybe I will put it into home-made face and lip balm or after-sun lotion. Perhaps try it in one of subsequent batches or a facial soap once I get the hang of the more normal ingredients.

Thanks once again for the warm welcome.

Welcome.gif

Latest posts

Back