A Cream Soap Tutorial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re 100% correct. I want to learn the how and why. That’s the point I’m trying to make. I used the Soaping101 recipe for cream soap successfully. However, the lady who wants a batch of cream soap is allergic to coconut oil. I am unable to alter the recipe because I don’t understand how to formulate for cream soap. I can use another oil but does that mean I need to change the amounts of Stearic acid and glycerin used? If so, do I need to increase it or lower it? For oils that I have at home and want to use to make cream soap, that are not the ones in the recipes I’ve used, what adjustments need to be made. Forgive me for asking for help. Forgive me for desiring to read a text to help me understand. I’m not looking for shortcuts. To those who responded in love and positivity, I appreciate that. You have no idea what I’m going through and how simply making soap for folks is a ministry to them and myself. To those who are critical and judgmental, assuming to know what my intentions are, don’t worry I’ll be terminating my membership to this forum. It feels toxic after just a few days and I need less of that. To all on this forum, may God bless you richly in every area of life now and throughout 2022.
Not for nothing but for someone who wants to learn, you certainly are ignoring any advice given to you.
Did you even read the tutorial and all of the threads on here? TBH, there’s most likely more info on here than in the book you are so desperately set on reading. I mean, in the book, there won’t be questions and answers. Ya know??
I don’t think anyone is assuming anything other than you don’t have much experience and/or knowledge of soap making. That is what YOU said. You could also look up thread on shave soaps. They may also have info that can help you formulate.
Maybe, just maybe, the reason there is so little information about cream soaps is that they’re really not that good. Just a possibility. I do know there is a FB group dedicated to cream soap makers, but I was disappointed in that as well as the group has very little activity. You basically are going to need to dig a little deeper and read a lot more. Good luck to you.

I messed with the cream soap concept and for me it was total fail. Not in the fact the soap didn't come out... it did, according to the method used at the beginning of this thread. It was in the fact that I was desiring something akin to a cream or paste shaving soap... which it was not. Lather was nonexistent, even using a shave brush. It was really more like a cold cream consistency and very little, if any, cleansing properties to it. Besides waiting two months, testing it out and then with some consternation, regret, slightly puzzled mind, etc. I washed it down the sink. I only make about a 32oz batch so it wasn't much of a loss monetarily speaking.

I went down a different path and highly modified the hot process dual lye shave soap method and have come up with an excellent product, IMHO.
I will admit I used a couple of the techniques used in the cream soap method, but that is after the HP and saponification is complete.
The end product lathers like crazy, has a very dense creamy lather which provides plenty of blade cushion and glide. It is packed in PP jars and has been selling very well.

IMG_0283.JPG

I messed with the cream soap concept and for me it was total fail. Not in the fact the soap didn't come out... it did, according to the method used at the beginning of this thread. It was in the fact that I was desiring something akin to a cream or paste shaving soap... which it was not. Lather was nonexistent, even using a shave brush. It was really more like a cold cream consistency and very little, if any, cleansing properties to it. Besides waiting two months, testing it out and then with some consternation, regret, slightly puzzled mind, etc. I washed it down the sink. I only make about a 32oz batch so it wasn't much of a loss monetarily speaking.

I went down a different path and highly modified the hot process dual lye shave soap method and have come up with an excellent product, IMHO.
I will admit I used a couple of the techniques used in the cream soap method, but that is after the HP and saponification is complete.
The end product lathers like crazy, has a very dense creamy lather which provides plenty of blade cushion and glide. It is packed in PP jars and has been selling very well.

View attachment 63382
My exact experience, although I did allow it to rot a bit longer and took a couple different stabs at it. In the end, tossed it all. It was just so pearly and pretty. I so wanted it to work out ☹️

I still wasn't quite happy so I added an additional 3 ounces and this was just the ticket and where I want it to be:
DSC00815-18.jpg

DSC00816-19.jpg

And that's all there is to it. This is going to "rot" for the next couple of months in a sealed container and I might peak at it now and then (yeah like any of us can keep from peaking at our creations - whatever

Once it is fully cured/rotted you can add more liquid if you want and that is when you would add your fragrance. You will so love the feel of this and if you sell your customers will be beyond delighted.....

Thanks for letting me share this passion with you....

Thanks for the recipe. Will try it later :thumbs:

FYI, MMS now offers Catherine Failor's book (booklet, really) "Making Cream Soap" for only $7.50. Much better than the $194.57 price on Amazon, or $194.52 on eBay.
Oh My Stars thank you so very much for sharing that piece of information. I have wanted that book for a while but no way would I pay $100+. Just completed my order!

PS - I bought a copy, too. I don't know why, since everyone says cream soap is a total disappointment. Maybe it was @Professor Bernardo's comment that he used some of the techniques to improve his shave soap. Or maybe it's just a rite of passage to try it and see what we think (like butter in soap). 🤣

@AliOop Exactly! And @ $7 if it’s a disappointment, so be it. However, I’d wager there’s a nugget or two pieces of information for success with cream soap making.

I have only a few cookbooks, medicinal herb books, EO books, quilt books, decoupage books, quilling books etc. that are 💯 gems for information on very single page. Can anyone tell I have a 📚 problem?! I’m not a hoarder, not a hoarder, not a hoarder… 😂

HI, Lindy.
Thanks for the tutorial. I just made your soap, turn out great. Now we will wait...
Thanks a lot for sharing what turns out a very secret type of recipe.
I tried to find more recipes online on cream soaps and none showed up that resembles yours. I am trying to understand the proportions and how I can tweak oils to get what I want, but nothing so far.
Bought Fowler's book recommended in this forum. Hope this will give me some clarity of lye/oils ratios. I really want to play with different butters/oils.

Last edited:
HI, Lindy.
Thanks for the tutorial. I just made your soap, turn out great. Now we will wait...
Thanks a lot for sharing what turns out a very secret type of recipe.
I tried to find more recipes online on cream soaps and none showed up that resembles yours. I am trying to understand the proportions and how I can tweak oils to get what I want, but nothing so far.
Bought Fowler's book recommended in this forum. Hope this will give me some clarity of lye/oils ratios. I really want to play with different butters/oils.
Lindy left the forum a long time ago.

Latest posts

Back