Liquid Soap help needed please :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawpaw

Reaction score
I usually only make CP soap and now feel ready to try my hand at making liquid soap. I've researched and researched how to make it and have one question. Do you HAVE to neutralize the paste? Is there not a way to make it without using any neutralizer?

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

The first time I made it ,which was just a few weeks ago, I used the glycerin method and with that there is no need to neutralize. It was allot harder then I thought it was going to be but allot of fun :) Best of luck

I'll give that a try. So doing the glycerine method is the only way to go about not neutralizing? I thought glycerine was just to speed up the process.

Unless you superfat using the regular liquid soap method, you will probably have to neutralize. For me the glycerin method is much easier and yes it does seem to go faster and you don't have to neutralize.

Okay- so neutralizing is just if you don't superfat? So if I superfat that's another way of not neutralizing. Am I understanding correctly?

If you superfat enough, you probably won't have to neutralize, but your liquid soap will most likely be cloudy.

I don't mind if it's not clear so that's not a problem. I'm going to try superfatting. Thanks Soapers! Much appreciated.

You don't have to superfat not to neutalize your soap - I soap with a 0% superfat and end up with no excess lye and no excess fats not saponified. I will on occasion use citric acid to lower the Ph on some formulations but not as a neutralizer. Neutralizing (dealing with any excess lye) is needed if you use extra lye to ensure a clear soap. If you do not soap with an excess amount of lye, you do not HAVE to neutralize as you do not end up with that lye excess making your soap caustic.

The glycerin method or 50/50 method or cooking your soap for an extended time (6 - 9 hours) all help in getting your ph to an acceptable level where no excess will exist with a 0% superfat.

Oh ok. Now my understanding is becomin clearer and clearer. Thank you.
Um- what's the 50/50 method?

Back