Lard from WalMart

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. Bubble

Reaction score
So I was looking at the lard at WM and it has BHA and citric acid in it. Is thus okay for cp soap? I was trying to get as much supplies locally as I can. Or is there somewhere else to get lard? I didnt try Publix yet so dont know what they carry. And the best place for tallow?
Thanks!

I use WalMart lard for all my beer bars. No problems whatsoever. Did notice that when it was in the white pail it had a white plastic cover under the lid. The new blue pails have nothing. Take off the lid and there you are.

I am another lard user -- I can buy lard cheaper ($1.37 per pound) from Walmart than from Soaper's Choice (Columbus Foods) when I factor in the shipping.

So I was looking at the lard at WM and it has BHA and citric acid in it. Is thus okay for cp soap? I was trying to get as much supplies locally as I can. Or is there somewhere else to get lard? I didnt try Publix yet so dont know what they carry. And the best place for tallow?
Thanks!

Walmart's lard is perfectly fine :) Loads of soapers use it without any issues, including myself. The BHA and citric acid simply make its shelf life a bit more stable. I've also found a 25lb bucket of lard at our local Save-A-Lot both during the holidays and just 2-3 weeks ago, but new12soap says HER Save-A-Lot says they only carry it during the holidays because of all the baking so you could check there.

Tallow can be hard to source locally, especially if you want to get it with the rendering already done for you. I live in a very rural area that doesn't have any local butchershops (that I'm aware of, the only one we DID have shut down a few years ago). You can check with the meat departments at your grocery stores. Sometimes they might be able to sell you the fat for well under $1 a pound, since I don't think they can give it away for free. For the time it takes to render it, I'd rather buy tallow LOL

I've used both. I love both lard and tallow. The only reason I stick with lard is that I cannot find tallow locally. If I could, I'd switch to tallow over lard but its such a close ingredient that I'm totally happy with lard. If I get to the point where I start buying the big bulk sizes from Soaper's Choice, I'll probably switch to tallow. Its only $3 more for the same size cube and the shipping would be the same for either item to me.

I'm okay with the lard in my soap, not a HUGE fan, compared to palm oil. I suppose I should start buying mine at walmart and see if there is a differnce. I use Morells (sp?) from all of my local supermarkets. I've never seen a different brand, but I don't go to walmart often. I'll check there, and keep you posted.

One of my favorite recipes was made from lard bought from Walmart. Of course it was the only recipe I've made so far that I didn't save... learned my lesson pretty quick!

Same here. WalMart lard, or Armour Star Lard, is cheaper to buy at WalMart than to order it. No problems with the preservative or citric acid. It makes a lovely soap, nice lotion like lather. Too bad that the really big tubs are not sold in the refrigerator section of grocery stores anymore, guess I am showing my age, but at least the Armour Star doesn't need to be refrigerated. I think the Manteca brand does need to be refrigerated after opening, if you don't use it all in one setting.

I do wish stores sold frozen tallow, that would be a soaper's heavenly dream come true!

Thanks everyone! I thought I had written this thread then I "lost" it and couldnt find it where I thought it should be. Lol. I am trying to stay away from anything palm oil cause I like orangutans lol ( I know there are sustainable ones but then I have to pay shipping yadda yadda ) so I am happy I can grab this next time I have to run to Walmart.

One more question - what percentage do you usually use it at? I usually make a bar with pure olive, CO 76, castor and sometimes cocoa , shea or peanut oil.
Thanks!

Lard can be used anywhere from 0 to 100%. I usually use it at 30 to 50%, speaking very roughly. It doesn't lather super well, so I usually include a little coconut to add bubbles and some high oleic safflower and/or rice bran oil to add creaminess and conditioning.

For tallow you can buy meat-based shortening at any grocery store. It's supposed to be about 96-98% tallow. Can't prove that, but have seen several people on forums say they've personally spoken to the manufacturers and gotten that information.

Love it and use it all the time. It's actually cheaper than Lard, usually. I just like the sound of tallow better than lard on the label.

Smart & Final carries lard in 50lb blocks and it is cheaper than buying from Columbus if shipping has to be paid. My favorite soaps contain lard. Everytime I tell my hubby a soap feels exceptional to me, I go check my formula for that bar and sure enough it contains lard.

For tallow you can buy meat-based shortening at any grocery store. It's supposed to be about 96-98% tallow. Can't prove that, but have seen several people on forums say they've personally spoken to the manufacturers and gotten that information.

Love it and use it all the time. It's actually cheaper than Lard, usually. I just like the sound of tallow better than lard on the label.
In my experince, it's virtually impossible to get meat based shortening in most big brand stores were I live. When I ask about it the customer service people's eyes almost pop out of their heads. I have found it in smaller food chains.
I have found it at Walmart, but only recently. Because the Walmart's here did not have a huge food section.

Lard makes GREAT soap!!! The Manteca brand is great and has the Citric Acid and makes a really hard bar of soap!!!
Great Gooodness, I LOVE SOAPING!!!!

In my experince, it's virtually impossible to get meat based shortening in most big brand stores were I live. When I ask about it the customer service people's eyes almost pop out of their heads. I have found it in smaller food chains.
I have found it at Walmart, but only recently. Because the Walmart's here did not have a huge food section.

Really? Maybe it's more popular here in the South

No meat based shortenings left here either, in the South. Once the stores sold out a few years ago, that was it. No more ordered. All shortening is vegetable based. The only place that still carries lard is WalMart, and I shiver every time I go that once it is gone, it is gone for good.

i use the wally world lard. I did experiments with it. never had an issue. i like it.

Latest posts

Back