Palm free rant, help with recipe.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrubbie

Reaction score
scrubbie
Superfat question and palm free
Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:56 pm
Im thinking of using this palm free recipe for my HP but, I need a higher content of coconut for strength. My skin likes no more than 20-22 percent so If I can get help on this recipe so that I dont DOS that would be great. I would love that gentle feel without the abrasive of the coconut oil.
So i dont know if an 8 percent in pot and a few percent out. But not sure about this recipe. it originally wasnt mine. But i modified it. To include my sunflower HO i love in HP.
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 35.63
2 Olive Oil 36.19
3 Sunflower Oil, high oleic 19.3
4 Castor Oil 7.42
5 Beeswax 1.45
those are percents. I am have been searching for a palm free that I liked not having much success. Either too soft, too expensive, dos prone, gv Cisco full of pesticides, lard people wont buy from me, wasted money galore. GMO's or anything else. I'm discouraged and frustrated. Loss of money left and right on this.
Babassu lovely too much money.

Can you do beef tallow? I think it produces a hard bar like palm.

I may have to but people are like ewww I want all veggie. I'm really kinda frustrated. I have a 15-20 percent I have to replace and don't know what to do. The problem I am seeing is people telling me the bars are washing away too quickly. What makes me mad, is that people speak of eco issues yet don't understand that things like lard and tallow are Eco friendly because it s material that would be thrown away otherwise and isnt a food source and doesn't have to be brought from overseas and if the animal was already used isn't it wise to use it all? Otherwise, I'm stuck with the above recipe and need to fix it. Personally I love lard but I need an all veg version

I've shelved my lard recipes for right now just to see if the palm works out as well. I bought Spectrum palm shortening and we'll see. There wasn't a thing wrong with my lard recipes in my opinion. Anyway, what I discovered I really like is some shea butter added. Plus there's all the good things the harvesting is doing for African women and it's heavenly. So I have a standard eco recipe to do and nothing animal in it but milk. I can't understand the grossout factor for animal oils if we eat so much meat and like dairy products. Although some people have decided to go completely vegan and that also means no honey or beeswax.

If you don't /can't use palm, lard or tallow try adding sal butter. It's pretty high in stearic Or maybe some coco butter.
Also cut back on the water you use and cure your bars longer. Make sure you tell your users to keep the soaps out of the shower spray and to let dry on soap savers between uses. (if you don't already)

Also, I don't know your superfat, but your lauric acid is pretty high there you might want to cut back on that coconut oil a bit.

Bulk apothecary has babassu oil for $10.00 a pound or $50.00 for $7.00 a pound. Sure it's twice as much as palm oil in value, but by cost it's only a few dollars more, which will only increase your bar cost a few cents. If your friends want vegetarian soap, let them pay for it. In my observation, vegetarian stuff costs more anyway, the cost of ingredients is part of the reason why, and the en vogue-ness of vegetarianism is the other part.

Bulk Apothecary: http://www.bulkapothecary.com/raw-ingredients/bulk-natural-oils/babassu-oil/?gclid=CMDyjN6Rv7UCFU1yQgod3V8AKQ

Also, WSP has it for $11.00 a pound but if you buy $30.00 of stuff with them, shipping is free.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?CatalogID=1&GroupID=505&CategoryID=2131&ProductID=8596&ProductName=Crafters+Choice%E2%84%A2+Babassu+Oil

Babassu oil is not a replacement for palm oil. Coconut or palm kernel oil, yes, lard, tallow, palm no. Not even close to the same thing.

scrubbie
Superfat question and palm free
Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:56 pm
Im thinking of using this palm free recipe for my HP but, I need a higher content of coconut for strength. My skin likes no more than 20-22 percent so If I can get help on this recipe so that I dont DOS that would be great. I would love that gentle feel without the abrasive of the coconut oil.
So i dont know if an 8 percent in pot and a few percent out. But not sure about this recipe. it originally wasnt mine. But i modified it. To include my sunflower HO i love in HP.
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 35.63
2 Olive Oil 36.19
3 Sunflower Oil, high oleic 19.3
4 Castor Oil 7.42
5 Beeswax 1.45
those are percents. I am have been searching for a palm free that I liked not having much success. Either too soft, too expensive, dos prone, gv Cisco full of pesticides, lard people wont buy from me, wasted money galore. GMO's or anything else. I'm discouraged and frustrated. Loss of money left and right on this.
Babassu lovely too much money.

Babassu is a good replacement for coconut oil, so it would not help you much here. What I would do is eliminate the bees wax, reduce the castor to only 5%, and introduce 10% either shea or cocoa butter (reduce some of the soft oils amount). Play around with soap calc and you will see that you can make a 'perfect' soap without palm and without lard or tallow. It does cost a little more but not a lot more because the expensive oils are used in such small amounts.

Back