Bath Bomb Troubleshooting Help Needed Please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfichter

Rachel
Reaction score
Greetings all! I have a bit of a puzzle.

I've been making bath bombs for a little bit over a year now and have very few problems. (Perhaps that's why I'm getting my comeuppence now...) In the past two months, some of my batches have started...leaking? I unmold them and they're beautiful. I let them harden, no problem. I put them in their packaging (cellophane bags) and all seems well for several days. Then in a little under a week oil seems to start seeping out of the hardened bath bomb. If I leave it to its own devices, a pool of oil will eventually seep out and the bath bomb gets very dry and cracks.

I haven't changed my recipe at all. The only ingredient change is that I switched my citric acid supplier from Brambleberry to Bulk Apothecary. (And I've had several batches with the "new" citric acid come out just fine.) Does anyone have any idea what could be happening here? I don't know how to go about fixing it because I have absolutely no idea what's wrong, or how to tell which batch will "leak" and which won't - they seem absolutely identical to me when I unmold them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Are you using salt in your recipe? If so, your bath bombs may be absorbing moisture from the atmosphere. It's hard to give you a correct answer without knowing your ingredients.

Oh yes, of course! Knowing the ingredients would make it easier, wouldn't it?

I don't use any salts. My recipe is just baking soda, citric acid, sweet almond oil, polysorbate 80, mica, and fragrance.

It's summer time, do you possibly have a lot of humidity in your house? I have found that a dehumdifier made a HUGE difference for me; all of my BBs were getting warts until I started using a dehumdifier. In the wintertime, I don't need one, of course.

Back