canadian soapers???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vidasworld12

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This question is in regards to suppliers in Canada .... Canadian soapers! Were do you guys buy your soaping products from?? I know of a few - New direction, canwax???? ( not sure about this one- saw a few things here that havent in others , Saffire blue - pricey here , bought from them first time :headbanging:

I m looking for a soap Cutter... Saw a few on Amazon, ebay - BUT are they worth it?? are they going to do the job or just be cheap?? anyone have any of these cutters? ANYONE?? canadian / USA??

Ive seen most cutters are in the states - just like everything else !! ughhh

Thank you all for taking the time in advance!!

Have a great day!!!

Which cutters were you looking at? It might help on with feedback if we knew which ones you were considering. I have the long loaf cutter from Essential Depot and the single wire cutter from Buds on Etsy. I love them both and have never needed anything more than those two. The Buds cutter is invaluable for horizontal cuts and both are easy to clean and very high quality. I also have a beveller/planer that finishes off my bars. Don't get frustrated! Just ask a lot of questions on here. Someone is bound to have experience with what you're looking at before you buy anything. Happy soaping :)

I want either or to be honest, I kinda dont know if one is better than the other. I like the single and the multi ! ughhh so many options The ones ive seen on ebay / amazon are single cutter - a wooden block and you just cut it with a metal cutter ( kinda like a dough cutter ) , one bar at a time , another one looked like it had a string cutter - not like the nice fancy guitar string cutter i have seen on etsy. Im kinda just wondering if those are worth it or not- or simply invest in the 200 + ones.

anyways thx again for the info :)

did you happen to make your own??

A friend of mine has promised to make me one soon! He's interested in woodworking and has made his own guitar before, so I'm sure he'll do a great job. They're really not very complicated, I'm sure I could do it myself if I borrowed the right tools. I'm thinking about a multi-bar cutter.

Right now I'm just using a ruler to slice knicks into my loaf, then using them as a guide and cutting with a thin, sharp kitchen knife. I can get my bars surprisingly uniform with this method, but the multi-bar cutter seems much simpler and quicker.

A friend of mine has promised to make me one soon! He's interested in woodworking and has made his own guitar before, so I'm sure he'll do a great job. They're really not very complicated, I'm sure I could do it myself if I borrowed the right tools. I'm thinking about a multi-bar cutter.

Right now I'm just using a ruler to slice knicks into my loaf, then using them as a guide and cutting with a thin, sharp kitchen knife. I can get my bars surprisingly uniform with this method, but the multi-bar cutter seems much simpler and quicker.

im having a rough time cutting my soaps with a knife... that's why im considering the cutter - they smudge ALOT ! maybe I just need to let the soap sit longer in the mold?? I've waited up to over a week with my beer soap .. and it smudge ! :cry:

they dont look as nice now ... and i worked so hard on them :cry:

im having a rough time cutting my soaps with a knife... that's why im considering the cutter - they smudge ALOT ! maybe I just need to let the soap sit longer in the mold?? I've waited up to over a week with my beer soap .. and it smudge ! :cry:

they dont look as nice now ... and i worked so hard on them :cry:

That's too bad that they smudged on you! For my designs with horizontal layers/mica lines, I always cut the loaf on its side to prevent smudging. It's also the best way to cut loafs with decorative things like oats, lavendar buds or petals on top - cutting the loaf on its side will prevent drag marks.

I do usually give my bars lots of time to harden up before cutting. I usually leave them in the mold for 2 days, then give them another couple days in open air.

I am giving you link to guy in Brampton I believe, I have single cutter from him, and I am very happy with it. there is some wait because he gets order then make one for you.
https://www.facebook.com/GlensCustomWood/

you are AMAZING!!!! im in brampton!!! this is so great, thank you so much... im going to check him out !

I said it before and I will say it again.. this forum has the best people ever

thx again

That's too bad that they smudged on you! For my designs with horizontal layers/mica lines, I always cut the loaf on its side to prevent smudging. It's also the best way to cut loafs with decorative things like oats, lavendar buds or petals on top - cutting the loaf on its side will prevent drag marks.

I do usually give my bars lots of time to harden up before cutting. I usually leave them in the mold for 2 days, then give them another couple days in open air.

Wow ... Why didn't I think of that ?! that's so obvious .. Thank you so much , I cant believe I didn't think of that ..

love all of you guys

Hello Everyone,
I m looking for a soap Cutter... Saw a few on Amazon, ebay - BUT are they worth it?? are they going to do the job or just be cheap?? anyone have any of these cutters? ANYONE?? canadian / USA??

Ive seen most cutters are in the states - just like everything else !! ughhh

Thank you all for taking the time in advance!!

Have a great day!!!

Regarding cutters (not from Canada, so no feedback on soaping suppliers), until you get a cutter, here is a simple solution available at a hardware store:

Cutting%20Straight.jpg

This is what I used for while before I got my cutter from Bud on eBay, which I REALLY like, BTW. The mitre box was a spare my husband had in the garage and I bought the taping knife at Home Depot.

For slab molds, I use a Pizza Cutter to cut the slab into logs. So that's another possibility if you intend to use slab molds at all and don't want to purchase a slab cutter. Those slab cutters are quite expensive and so specialized. A pizza knife can be found at some specialty kitchen/cooking stores, but also online. I got mine via Amazon.

81Egk229iKL._SL1500_.jpg

Regarding cutters (not from Canada, so no feedback on soaping suppliers), until you get a cutter, here is a simple solution available at a hardware store:

Cutting%20Straight.jpg

This is what I used for while before I got my cutter from Bud on eBay, which I REALLY like, BTW. The mitre box was a spare my husband had in the garage and I bought the taping knife at Home Depot.

For slab molds, I use a Pizza Cutter to cut the slab into logs. So that's another possibility if you intend to use slab molds at all and don't want to purchase a slab cutter. Those slab cutters are quite expensive and so specialized. A pizza knife can be found at some specialty kitchen/cooking stores, but also online. I got mine via Amazon.

81Egk229iKL._SL1500_.jpg

Such a great idea! Thank you for sharing

In brampton there is Ournaturalcreation,ca I think she is awesome and sells very nice FO:)

Thank you ! You are right .. some times I don't need enough to place an order, if she allows pick ups this is great ..

Thxxx

Can you tell me what you use for the planer/beveler? I'm on the search for one.

Kort, I am not particularly happy with this one, so do not recommend it. It leaves a gouge line in my bar soap and I can't really see what's doing it, the wood or the blade. It's barely 6 months old, but I first noticed the gouge-line about when it was 2 or 3 months old. It's not extremely noticeable on the bar of soap, but I see it and it bothers me. It was advised that either it may need a bur in the wood sanded (I can't feel one) or the blade may need to be replaced (I may look for a better blade at some point and see if that helps. My fear is that when I remove the screws I'll strip the wood and they won't stay in when/if I replace the blade.)

I am considering getting an all acrylic one or an all stainless steel one. But since my stainless steel blade has some spots of discoloration that may indicate a problem with the steel's smoothness, I'm not sure I want SS.

Last edited by a moderator:
for any one that is interested , I finally found a cutter!!! im excited!!
I tried contacting that one person one of you suggested but he never got back to me :( - and his cutters looked amazing !

Found this place in BC and it was on sale for like $60 canadian - its called suds and scents ... its all wood , so for now it will do, I hope its good quality... Im just excited , the knife cutting was starting to ware out for me..

Thank you all for all the suggestions,

you are all so great !

Have a great weekend everyone!!!!!

Yes Suds and scents they are good, but buy only the single one. The other one has bad opinions.

yes exactly i only bought the single cutter. This is just temporary until I can get the "mommy of all mommy cutters" lol

my soaps are just for hobby ... for now ;)

Back