Veggie soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebony-soap

Reaction score
I want to start making soaps with vegetables inside of it to give colouring and to appeal more to the consumer. Specifically, I want to use avocado and carrots to start out. However I was wondering if I were to add these ingredients, would it make the soap go rancid sooner. Btw, I am using melt and pour base and maybe coffee grounds as an exfoliant.

I'm just a rookie soaper, but I would not suggest using certain foods unless they are dried, juiced, or pureed. Otherwise, they may go rancid way before the customer finishes it.

I also never made a melt & pour soap so I have no idea if you can use vegetable juice/puree as a liquid base.

I don't do M&P but my understanding is that fresh botanical ingredients would probably go bad. You can use fruit and veggie purees in CP because the alkalinity of the soap prevents spoilage.

Yesterday I made a small batch of CP carrot soap and used part of a jar of baby carrots. The label on the jar just says Wild Harvest Organic Carrots. The only ingredients are water and carrots.

I don't recall ever seeing any kind of fruit or veggies being put in M&P, only dried botanicals. Maybe just make a bar or two to test? I would at the very least use a preservative and even then you might have to use it within a month or two. Just my thoughts...

Ok... after I sent the previous message I googled using carrots in melt and pour soap and ran across this - http://craftbits.com/project/carrot-soap/ It's kind of vague but it looks like you can do it with carrots anyway.

Back