Help with lotion recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay

Reaction score
I'm very new to lotion recipes. I've only made two, and those were recipes I've found online. I'm wanting to make my own recipe, but I really don't know what percentages, amounts of each to use.

Oils I'm wanting to use are Mango butter, Cocoa Butter, Castor oil, and Sunflower oil. I'll be using Beeswax and I guess Borax. For the water, I'm wanting to use Aloe Vera juice. My problem is, I don't know how much of each of these to add to make, say 16 oz. total. Would someone please help me? I really would appreciate it! Oh, and should I add cornstarch to this recipe? If so, how much?

Last edited:
No, I think what I'm going to try is this.

1/4 cup Beeswax
1/4 cup Mango Butter
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
1/4 cup Castor Oil
1/4 cup Sunflower Oil
1 tsp Cornstarch
5 Vitamin E capsules

With there being no water in this recipe, I shouldn't need a preservative. This is a small batch that just myself and my husband will be using, so I think I'll be ok.

What are the best preservatives?

That depends on what you are preserving and what the application use for the product will be. Every preservative has different properties and usage for the different products.
Once that is figured out, then it becomes a matter of personal preference, so can be suggestive.

No, I think what I'm going to try is this.

1/4 cup Beeswax
1/4 cup Mango Butter
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
1/4 cup Castor Oil
1/4 cup Sunflower Oil
1 tsp Cornstarch
5 Vitamin E capsules

With there being no water in this recipe, I shouldn't need a preservative. This is a small batch that just myself and my husband will be using, so I think I'll be ok.

Kay please let us know how its going on the lotion, because I want to try my hand at t next week. How does the beeswax behave?
I do love tropical scents!

Kay please let us know how its going on the lotion, because I want to try my hand at t next week. How does the beeswax behave?
I do love tropical scents!

Will try to remember to let you know. I've added you to my contact list, so maybe that will help. I don't have the Mango butter yet. I ordered it from someone on Etsy back on May 24, and 'supposedly' it was finally shipped on Friday.:mad: Although according to USPS, all they have so far is an electronic notification. I'll never order from her again...but that's another story. As soon as I get the Mango, I'll give it a try and let you know. Again, I'm just using this for myself and hubby. I'm not wanting to sell any of it, and I'm making smaller batches.

This will be more like a salve than a lotion. Let us know how you like it!

If you want to do a whipped butter without beeswax (no water), try 80% butter to 20% liquid oil to start and adjust until you get to the desired consistency.

I was wondering about that, because of the beeswax, Mango and Coconut Oil. I don't think I'll need the cornstarch. What about adding a little bit of glycerin to the mix? Would that thin it down a little?

Latest posts

Back