Newbie Confused by all that's available!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curdilicious

Reaction score
hi There,

I have literally just started looking into soap making and have bought so e supplies ready to get cracking tomorrow (can't wait!). I bought some olive soap base, White soap base, moulds, colours (liquid) and fragrance oils, as well as tools. the thing is I'm just so confused with all the different things that are avaiable and whether I NEED them to make a good M & P soap, or whether they are just there if you WANT to use them. For example, I have seen butters and waxes mentioned on soap supply sites, then lots of different bases, with this and that free (sorry can't remember the initials!)

I'm concerned that if I don't get it right first time I'll have wasted my money on ingredients and will be put off trying it again as I don't know where I have gone wrong. am I overcomplicating matters do you think?

Any advice you can give me with all the different things avaiable, whether I need them or if you can point me in the right direction re: information sutras would be great fully received. I'm seriously thinking of doing a course here in the UK, I learn much better from seeing then doing.

thanks in advance for your help.

Clare x

The only thing you 'need' to make M&P is the base of your choice.

You will have to melt it, preferably in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. You could use a double boiler if you prefer. Then you will have to pour it into something for a mold, you can use most anything that is flexible like a small empty butter tub or shaped ice cube trays.

Anything esle is just 'want', but not 'need'.

Fragrance and color is on top of the 'want' list.

Then some people want exfoliants like poppy seeds ot oatmeal, but that would just be 'extra' and a pain to work with.

Some people wnt extras like clay, etc, again, a pain to work with.

You DO NOT NEED to add butters, oils or waxes. I would suggest you not. The base is already well balanced when it arrives and doesn't 'need' the additives.

There are bases available with extra ingredients in them 'if' you would like. There are bases with hemp oil added, goat's milk addded, etc. That is the easy way to add extra stuff to your soap. When you try to add butter or oils to a M&P base yourself, it doesn't always work so good. It doesn't mix well, etc.

I sell M&P for a living. I only purchase clear soap base, fragrance, coloring and molds. That's it. If I am feeling wild I may order 10# of a specialty base like hemp or shea butter for a special holiday soap, Mother's day, etc..

When I first started I bought some plastic versus pyrex to melt my soap in. What a mistake that was LOL because the saran wrap to keep the moisture in would not stick to the plastic. We live and learn. My first "tools" I got from the dollar store, imitation tupperware. Of course they broke when I tried to get the soap out after awhile but hey they served their purpose...I learned how to make some soap and had a blast doing so!

Back