Happy Birthday Castile!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdawgs

Reaction score
Well, my castile soap just turned one year old, so I finally gave it a try. I actually tried it when it was a month or two old and from what I remember, it was a slimy mess. Now that it's a year old........it's still slimy.

What is it about this soap that I am supposed to like???

Yeah, I think a lot of people can relate to that, lol.
I think the main reasons people make them is because it's an old classic, they are very gentle on the skin and very easy to do since you only need one oil and not a lot of formulating.

I'm using an 8-9 (I think) old Bastille right now, the first soap I ever made with 20 coconut oil and 80 olive oil and the coconut didn't really do anything, it's probably about as bad as a 100% olive oil would have been. You can work up a decent lather if you are patient but still not great.

For what it's worth, I have experimented a little, 1 tablespoon ppo each of milk powder and sugar made an Castile bar that traced quite fast and after 3 weeks it lathered a lot better than the aged Bastille.

I also tried 10% KoH/90% NaOH 5% castor/95% olive oil ( a lot of people have done this as well) and it lathered even better than the sugar/milk one. So still not that good.

Maybe I'm taking too much now, lol.

Its funny how people's preferences are so different. I've just tried my first high OO soap (75%) and love the feeling of it way way more than my high lard (50%) soaps. So I guess I love bastille soaps.

Havent tried the castile yet - made one a few weeks ago to try on my 30th birthday next year, hope its not disappointing LOL

I tried exactly one high OO soap. I do not like slime.

Now, if you want a good recipe, and are not afraid of lard, let me know.

Susie, I know your recipe well and have used it many times. (65% Lard, 15% CO, 15% OO, 5% Castor). It's one of two of my go to recipes. The other one I use a lot(I call it Obsidian since I saw he/she post it first) is the 50% lard, 25% OO, 20% CO, 5% Castor.
They are both great.

Now, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all my castile. I'm about half way through my first bar. Yes, it's gentle, and it works fine. I just don't like that thick layer of sludge that's always forming on it. Maybe I'll let it sit for another year and see what happens.

I did Castile too more than a year ago. I put 2 teaspoon sugar and 1% of rosin. The later isn't so bad and isn't slimy.

I just made one too. It looks nice, but not as I expect it. Do not mean to highjack your thread, but can I post a picture?

Thanks! I plan to put them away for 1 year. They look fine, do not understand why it looks like I swirl? I put 0.2 FO (very little), and made 1 pound. No color, no additives.

Just need to cut them better.

20170619_194137_resized_zps1abcvcjq.jpg

Maybe the FO? Although I put so little, Because I whip until pudding like, way pass emulsion, and the batter looked pretty!

Maybe the FO? Although I put so little, Because I whip until pudding like, way pass emulsion, and the batter looked pretty!

Yes an FO with vanilla in it will colour like that. Some Vanilla FO's colour dark brown so a little might go a long way.

But the fact that it is a swirl is strange if you didn't intend it.

Did you put the FO in at the last minute? It should look the same colour all the way through if it was thoroughly incorporated.

Back