My favorite from my Swirls Class - 2017 June

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some recent soaps:

I went to a Beyond Beginner's Swirls Class last Saturday and we made 4 batches of soap each. We each worked on our own with some direction as to the type of swirl and we all used the same recipes and molds.

Of the 4 batches I made, I absolutely love the look of this one. I think our instructor drew a blank when we asked her what it was called, but later research leads me to believe it is a combination of a Tiger and Linear swirl. At least that's what I gather from several soap blogs and tutorials I found online. (link) Anyhow, I love it and will be doing this one again, even though it is very time intensive.

Thin%20Lines%20wall%20pour%20-%202017June10.jpg

Thin%20Lines%20wall%20pour%20-%20sides%20-%202017June10.jpg

Woo woo!!!! Love it! It's so time consuming work of art! Must be a well behave FO & super duper slow recipe! ( and lots of elbow grease... ) :p

Those are stunning! That technique would make a great SMF challenge... hint ;)

Millie, it's a really time-instensive technique, but the results are so satisfying. It's really very easy. If you haven't done it before, it goes like this:

Slow to trace recipe required.
Two tilting blocks of some sort needed (one shorter than the other).
Pouring containers need to have the ability to pour very directed thin stream of batter. (long skinny pour spout, pinched cups, or squeeze bottles).
Use a non-accelerating fragrance.

You won't get the skinny lines with an accelerating fragrance or with a fast tracing recipe because it takes so long to do this pour.

Bring to emulsion.
Separate into pouring containers & mix with prepared colorants.
Add fragrance at the end right before pouring, unless you are positive it is a non-accelerating fragrance.

Tilt mold (loaf mold) using larger of the two tilting blocks (bars of soap will work as will any number of items you may have on hand.)
Pour alternating colors in very thin stream along the wall of the mold, following each color upon the previous line of color. (This is the time-intensive part.)
Replace the tilting block when indicated by the level of soap within the loaf.
Continue alternating colors until you have to remove the second tilting block (to avoid it pouring out the other side.)
Create any design you like on top using whatever batter & colors you have left.

If you pour at just past emulsion, you will get more feathering.
As the batter thickens, less feathering occurs.

If you want less feathering, start pouring at a very light trace.

Back