Mechanic Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
I decided yesterday to go ahead and make the mechanic soap with kerosene. I researched this forum and spent many many hours reading and re-reading the posts. I jotted down many notes and finally settled on "how" I was going to do it. I took notes on the steps and wanted to share in case anyone else was interested. Sorry, I only took pictures of the soap cut and not pictures of the process as I was wanted to make sure I done things correctly. I used a cardboard Velveeta box with a plastic bag as a liner for my mold because I wasn't sure if the kerosene would linger or damage the silicone molds. I made a 21 oz batch following the formula on here of how to determine mold size. The batter fit almost perfectly, it came above the top a hair, but I just piled it up. I decided on a 70% lard 30% coconut oil and soapcalc gave me the following:

Water as percent of oil weight: 38%
Superfat: 5%
Lard-14.70 oz
Coconut Oil: 6.30 oz
Water: 7.98 oz
Lye: 3.07 oz

Additives: 2.1 oz kerosene (10%)
1.35 oz fine ground pumice (thanks doriettefarm :) )

I mixed my lye solution and let it sit. Then I measured out my oils and nuked them to melt. When they had cooled a bit, I used the laser thermometer and seen the lye was around 90 and oils around 125. I added kerosene to the oils and pulsed a couple times with the stick blender to mix it. Then I poured in my lye solution and alternated stick blending on low, stir, then high, stir for several minutes (didn't time it, but guessing around 7 minutes or so) until I got it to what I felt was a thick trace (consistency per my notes was between brownie batter and cake batter--sorry I cook allot so that's my guide lol). Added in the pumice and stick blended until mixed good. Poured into my mold and covered with a piece of cardboard. At around 6 hours, the soap was hard, so I unmolded and cut. Hopefully it turns out to be what my husband was wanting, but we will see in a month or so.
Forgot to add the pics

DSCF3120.jpg

DSCF3121.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I too will be interested to see how it is with nasty black grease compared to plain pumice soap.

How much mechanic per pound of oils did you add? [emoji5]

Looks good. How is the smell?

:) It actually isn't as strong as I was thinking it would be. I figured it would really smell like kerosene, but it isn't too bad. I got the lo-odor kerosene, so maybe that's why. The bar that he had tried before worked really well, but I think it smelled of kerosene more and since I didn't have the recipe, I read through these forums and found lots of info on the stain stick lol.

Waiting patiently to hear of the results! Thanks so much for sharing, Bamagirl- this on still on my 'to do' list. I have all the ingredients, I just need to actually do it! lol

IrishLass :)

Waiting patiently to hear of the results! Thanks so much for sharing, Bamagirl- this on still on my 'to do' list. I have all the ingredients, I just need to actually do it! lol

IrishLass :)

IrishLass, I used most of the advice from the forum you linked to when I asked about the soap in an earlier thread. I copied and pasted most of the info onto my soapcalc recipe so I wouldn't forget it!

Yep, I am also curious about what you think of this, Bamagirl. I know Mike in PDX shared his thoughts about this type of recipe, but I've not tried it myself to have an opinion.

Kerosene or gasoline is often used straight out of the can to clean tools and hands that are full of engine grease. Adding it to a soap with pumice makes a LOT of sense to me.

My husband has used kerosene and gasoline to clean his hands or tools too. And when my husband tried the soap with kerosene, it worked good. So, hopefully this will work well too.

I don't want to start a discussion, just for your information/consideration: Kerosene should not be flushed down the drain. Sewage treatment plants rely on biological processes to remove contaminations from the water and kerosene is not biodegradeable. Of course it's all a matter of scale and one person using kerosene soap will probably not cause much damage. But if we all did it...

Biodiesel may be an alternative but I haven't personally tried it.

Yes, kerosene is biodegradable. Slowly, yes, but it degrades. In the tiny amounts used in a soap and the tiny amounts of soap that will end up in the sewer system, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. On top of that, the soap itself will emulsify the kerosene and make it water soluble, and that will help the kerosene biodegrade faster.

The problem with flushing large amounts of chemicals like kerosene (or biodiesel, solvent-based paint, gasoline, other solvents, etc.) down the drain is that these chemicals float on the top of the sewer water. If there is an ignition source, these floating flammable chemicals can cause serious fires. If these chemicals evaporate easily (gasoline, for example), explosive vapors can build up and may explode in a confined space like a sewer.

Kerosene is considered "inherently biodegradable". That's not the same kind of biodegradable as soap, synthetic detergents or other things that can be flushed down the drain. It's a slow process that cannot be completed at a sewage treatment plant.

Kerosene is also toxic to aquatic life, with long lasting effects. See here.

The fire hazard is not the only reason why we don't flush hydrocarbons down the drain - they can have a huge environmental impact.

As I said, it's a matter of scale and a little bit of kerosene won't cause noticeable damage. I just wanted to note that kerosene doesn't belong into the sewer without starting another discussion, but apparently your need to immediately contradict anything I say was too strong to resist the urge. :(

I feel like I walked into something, but...

If you mention that kerosene shouldn't be flushed down the drain, but only for information purposes, then I positively welcome informed, civil discussion about it even if it contradicts your statement. There was no rudeness, only other facts. Those of us that are not privy to all the chemistry facts and knowledge can learn from hearing *all* facts.

And now I have questions.

Does kerosene change at all when incorporated into oils that undergo saponification? Or does it remain kerosene in all its glory?

Many of the mechanics I know are not allowed to use the sinks to wash their paws, so they wash them in outside sinks/hoses (i.e. it goes on the ground and not the sewage). Wonder if that makes a difference?

I don't want to start a discussion, just for your information/consideration:

As I said, it's a matter of scale and a little bit of kerosene won't cause noticeable damage. I just wanted to note that kerosene doesn't belong into the sewer without starting another discussion, but apparently your need to immediately contradict anything I say was too strong to resist the urge. :(

You posted your thoughts on an open thread in the forum. You don't get to decide who, or if anyone, gets to respond to your thoughts. If you don't want responses, then just don't say anything.

Last edited:
Back