Browsing soap pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm guessing that this is done with something like this fondant mat. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CT-5...32225691734.html?spm=2114.32010308.4.2.c5bqak
Because of the way the edge is raised, I'm thinking it's not laid in the bottom of the loaf mold, but done separately and applied to the soap afterwards. Am I right about that? But it's got to be tricky because it's so thin. Has anyone here tried it? It must be tough to get the soap off the silicone in one piece without breaking it. This beautiful example is found on http://www.saponeta.com/

lace1.jpg

@Navigator-Ok so if I understand you correctly You think the brown/purple fishnet part was wrapped around the soap or the entire outside, white included?

@Twysted- I know nothing about clay molding but do you think it would be easier to make a log of soap with your fragrance, you could make it soft or hard as you want, then take that log of soap, cut of excess soap and then mold? That may be easier than soponified soap in a bowl. Good luck, I would love to see what you create.

Last edited:
Me? No, I don't think the fishnet part was wrapped around the soap. When I mentioned "wrapping", I was talking about how the design itself, was not just on the top surface of the soap, but all the way around. I think I could figure out a way to make something similar to that, by using embeds. But my method would only produce the design on the top surface of the soap, I couldn't figure out how to get the design on the top surface AND the edges, too. Like I said, it hurts my brain just trying to think about how it's done. lol But I really think that there may be something "fishy" about this soap, no pun intended. People who invent new techniques are absolutely entitled to keep it secret if they wish, but to pull the picture off the site after inquiries were made about it just makes me go hmmmmmm........ Know what I mean?

could someone have simply laid lace across the top of their freshly made soap?

It's possible to produce a design similar to that by using actual lace, but this particular one is a silicone mat I've seen somewhere, so I know it's not lace in this case. Beautiful, isn't it?

That is so delicate that I can't imagine someone applying it to a soap without breaking it somewhere! I think it would be easier to have a fondant mat that has a deep imprint and borders that you lay in the mold then take off while you hold your breath.

Auntie Clara has a blog post about using lace but I think the concept is much the same but the lace is more shallow. Marvelous molds has more the type I can picture from Saponeta's soap because they are more deeply carved.

http://marvelousmolds.com/

The fishnet soap...seriously, I am starting to believe the hydrographics because I can't figure out how they would get such consistent shapes with the white part without compression from the overlying soap.

The fishnet soap was definitely at least touched up with some sort of photo editor. See spotted errors below.

I screw up enough, I can spot stuff.

That does NOT mean someone did not make this soap though. And it certainly doesn't mean this lady made it either, I am simply saying someone touched up the pic.

The ovals aren't 100% perfect, which honestly to me makes it tougher to figure out. I would think cutting a white soap diagonally (like, in diamonds) and then laying it on top of itself in small layers in a brick-type formation-- then pouring a purple in between might work, but would be very uniform.

And, doing all this in a flat mold, no dividers, cutting it afterwards and trimming the soap edges. Lots of work, really, no way around that.

I might try that with a melt & pour and post it and see what happens. I probably won't make purple though, so be prepared for a blue or red or something.

Just ugh. Hahha.

Otherwise, squirt bottles and Xanax.

Fishnet-SoapError.jpg

I'm on a roll.

My niece posted this picture to me and said--I want skull soaps!

So I've been looking for cool skull molds but I can't find anything like what this would be. The only thing I can think of is that this person made their own mold. I have found some good mold sites, but nothing quite of this caliber.

so, how??

I do really Like to push the bar mold-wise. I think it's the polymer-clay artist in me, really, or the fact maybe I'm swirl-challenged or both. Or the cake decorator in me ( I LOVE to pipe soap! Ohmygosh!) Soap cupcakes = dreamy!

ok, really, I am going to go do something else now. :lolno:

skull soaps.jpg

Navigator9,

The lace soap is definitely done with silicone mat. Like Auntie Clara explained on her blog
http://auntieclaras.com/2014/09/mexican-lace-and-how-i-made-a-silicone-texture-mat/
(without making the mould yourself, obviously :)
You need to spread a spoonful of thick soap batter on the lace mat, and remove excess with a scraper, then put the mat in the mold and pour soap over it. When it is time to remove the soap from the mold I find it the easiest to put the soap (with silicone mat still on it) in the freezer for a couple of hours. After that, you peel of the mat carefully...

DSC_5393.jpg

OK this mesh soap has been doing my head in for the past few days.
Here's my theory....
I don't think photo is touched up, I even asked family member who is pro with PS. If there is any manipulations with the photo, it's minimal.
I think soap is actually made by using white and dark batter.
She made layers of white blobs and cover with dark soap and then alternate with more white blobs were they weren't there previously, i.e. in between previous blobs but bit higher up.
To me, key was those white blobs and how they look throughout the bar.
The bar in front looks like it's upside down to what it would have been in the mold. White blobs on the top are touching each other more and are more flat, i.e. when the soap batter was probably more runny. Towards the bottom of the bar, or top, when the bar was in the mold, blobs are more round and spaced out, possibly because white batter was becoming more thick.
Whole thing was cut horizontally in half and then into bars, with edges trimmed.
One of the plausible explanations if the soaper claimed it was only down to how it was poured.
P.S. mazimazi has sort of same theory ;)

Last edited:
Navigator9,

The lace soap is definitely done with silicone mat. Like Auntie Clara explained on her blog
http://auntieclaras.com/2014/09/mexican-lace-and-how-i-made-a-silicone-texture-mat/
(without making the mould yourself, obviously :)
You need to spread a spoonful of thick soap batter on the lace mat, and remove excess with a scraper, then put the mat in the mold and pour soap over it. When it is time to remove the soap from the mold I find it the easiest to put the soap (with silicone mat still on it) in the freezer for a couple of hours. After that, you peel of the mat carefully...

Ohhh that's so pretty.....thanks mazimazi!

The skull soaps are from a custom mold the soaper makes himself. I found a question and answer with him on reddit

Latest posts

Back