"Rustic" lip balm recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spicey477

Reaction score
Hi all, I am hosting an Outlander event at my library (I'm a librarian) and I was going to give out some lip balms as giveaways to the guests at the event. I have made a few sweet lip balms in tubes, but I am trying to wrack my brain to think of a more rustic recipe in terms of smell/flavor to sort of go with the whole 18th century Scotland thing. Anyone have any ideas? I would like to stick with beeswax, solid oil, brittle oil, liquid oil make up then just add a bit of EO and/or taste (I have MMS Sugarbaby).

TIA!

I would think rustic would be a unflavored balm made with unrefined beeswax so its kind of sweet. The one I make with local beeswax is nicely flavored without being artificial.
I went very simple with mine, beeswax and enough liquid oil of choice to reach the desired texture.

Thanks all! So, honey...I thought that would separate itself from the rest of the ingredients? Also, Susie, just those 2 ingredients? Very interesting!

I did make a batch last night with eo's Light Patchouli, Lavender, Mandarin and Bergamot. It is...rustic...smelling (thank you Patchouli, even though I put less of you than the others! :) )

Thank you all for the tips! :)

Honey will separate unless you use a emulsifier. Thats why I use "raw" beeswax, it has a slight honey scent and flavor. My favorite balm so far has been beeswax and olive oil, it has a nice texture and lasts a long time.

I don't think I'd like EO's in a balm unless it was peppermint or some kind of mild herbal blend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back