superfatting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlwords

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am new to soap making and i have a few questions about the superfatting of your lye soaps!

i was wondering if someone wouldn't mind giving me a simple explanation about what exactly superfatting is?

i want to make a shave soap and i am a little nervous about trying it out. what is the best superfat percent for a shave soap?

Hi, welcome!

Your superfat is simply any left over fat that doesn't get saponified (eaten up by the lye and turned into soap) during the soapmaking process. A superfat is your buffer to make sure that there is no lye left over in your finished soap. It also helps soap become less skin-stripping by leaving a tiny unnoticeable amount of oil on the skin.

A comfortable superfat level for most recipes is 5%. Some experienced soapers prefer to use a lower percentage. And some recipes, like salt bars, require a much higher superfat to counter the stripping nature of coconut oil (salt bars are generally very high in coconut oil) - usually around 20% superfat.

I'd recommend sitting down with a good cup of tea (or coffee) and reading through this forum as much as you can. There is tons of great information here that will help you learn how soapmaking works and how to make your first batches of soap successful.

Next, you'll want to familiarize yourself with lye calculators! Soapee.com is a great one. Lye calculators let you input your recipes and tells you how much lye and water to use. Along with "superfat", you'll want to learn about the difference between NaOH and KOH, KOH purity, lye concentration, oil properties, etc.

I know it's pretty intimidating, but it's definitely worth it in the end.

PS - a quick way to search the forum is to type this into Google:

site:soapmakingforum.com your search terms

Replace your search terms with whatever you're searching for.

If I remember correctly the usual superfat for a shaving soap is 5-8%. You have to experiment for yourself to find out what works best for you.

I recommend reading this thread:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=34264

Before reading this thread I had absolutely no clue how a shaving soap worked but now I feel like a pro! Even though I absolutely isn't one. It's a long, long read but it's really worth it.

Latest posts

Back