What is this? help please?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunRiseArts

Reaction score
So I wanted to try the evaporated milk, and I did. I made it last night, and I cut it today. I looks ok, but when I cut it, is sweaty inside. Never had this problem before, not sure if I cut it too early? I used 1/2 distilled water 1/2 evaporated milk for the liquid.

What is it?

Also the center should be red/pink, which you can see on the sides. I am a hoping that since I just cut it the color will come back.

20170619_194645_resized_zpst1yfeliv.jpg

Here is the recipe I used:

evaporated%20milk_zpsmms37hp2.png

100% sure everything was mixed well. I mixed to medium trace, very pudding consistency. I did use 0.60 oz of carnation fragrance from NG, and mixed it with a spatula.

If it is separation, is it still usable?

The one on the right looks like an unhappy Cartman.

Even if it didn't scorch in the pot, it looks mainly brown in the places which gel. Did you keep it cool?

Could you just give a full rundown of what you did, not just the recipe, so that people aren't guessing at what you did and can get straight to working out what it could be?

Thanks, no I did not keep it cool, and honestly I have never, ever cover my soap either.

I had no idea it could scorch during saponification!

Basically these were my steps: froze the milk, then used half milk/half distilled water, melted my hard soaps, soaped around 110, blend until thick trace, added the Fo which I mixed with a spatula, separated a bit to mix with the red pink mica, pour into mold.

I have done goats, buttermilk, and coconut this way, and never had an issue before. The only thing I can think of, is that I probably soaped cooler before? maybe around 80?

It looks like it may have overheated during gel. Milk soap has a tendence to get pretty hot especially if the milk has high sugar content. I use milks all the time and watch them closely for overheating. And soaping at 110 probably didn't help. I soap as cool as I can with milks.

I'm kinda leaning towards the same opinion as Toxicon, i.e., the FO not being mixed in as well as you thought. I've had that happen to me before. If you smell the dark spots, is the smell of the FO stronger there than in the lighter spots?

For what it's worth, I soap my milk soaps no differently than I soap my non-milk soaps- , i.e., 33% lye solution, 110F-120F soaping temps, and I encourage them to gel in a 110F oven. They always come out a uniform, creamy off-white color.

IrishLass :)

Thanks. If it was the FO, then I guess is ok to use. It looks way better today, although I am still baffled where the color in the center went! You can see the bud end of one the red is there.... I have used that mica before with no problems, maybe I needed to put more?

They still smell lovely, and look good enough to use, I just need to cut that bud end.

20170620_151633_resized_zpsrpopzlyf.jpg

How about this? This is so strange. I made a red palm butter recipe which is my sons favorite. I added the fragrance at the end but mixed it with the stick blender. I added no color, and I got this.

Is still young, should cure for another 3 weeks, but I tried it. Nothing wrong with it.

I usually pour red palm on a carton, because it would stain my silicone molds. So sorry for the marks.

20171007_162812_resized.jpg

It was black currant tea. It says 4 % vanillin, but would it make it turn all brown? What I am surprised, is that is only a few places.

Yeah, 4% is enough to turn a soap.

Only parts are turning right now, because that's how it happens, gradually and in spots like that. I don't know why, but it happens that way. Maybe there is more of the vanilla concentrated in those areas so they turn first, IDK, but it will eventually be a nice uniform, brown bar of soap.

Well is nearly 5 weeks old, I would have thought it would happen sooner.

Great idea soapmaker, I will try it like that from now on.

Latest posts

Back