The Struggle Is Real

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, soaper dude -- I'm glad it's not just us girly soapers. :)

edit: I think Patrick calls himself a "FO Ho." I haven't seen him post in awhile -- he's good folks and funny as all get out. I hope all is going well with him.

Last edited:
I'm totally judging you - for that absolutely TINY number of samples! Seriously ONLY 8? Pshaw.

Since Nurture is only a couple counties away from me, shipping is super-cheap so there is no incentive to make big orders. The wife is less likely to notice several smaller orders, anyway. :twisted:

J/K, the main purpose of this pass of samples is to find something she likes to use - with a couple thrown in for me.

I got:
Honey I Washed the Kids Type
Potion Type
1000 Kisses Type
Sex Appeal
Hellstone Type
Butterfly Flower Type
Breath of God Type
Hyacinth

Is there an occasion coming up or is this a "just because" sort of thing?

Just because. She is very, very picky about scent and have never wanted to use anything I've made because I haven't yet stumbled upon one she likes. Now that I've discovered that I can just buy samples from Nurture, I'm just going to spam them and make a bunch of 1 lb batches until we hit on something.

I figure I'll make a 4lb batch and split it into 4 pieces with a cardboard divider in my two 1501 molds, each with its own scent.

Picky about scents... What scents would she gravitate to, if you know?

She's rotating through several different Victoria Secret perfumes now. The most recent she requested was Paris but she also has Very Sexy Now and Bombshell plus some others I can't remember. Something from Marc Jacobs called Dot is on the shelf. She used to wear one called Journey from Mary Kay. There's not a whole lot of rhyme or reason that I have been able to decipher in 17 years. She's a super-smeller and I can never predict what she'll say until she smells something. Hence the spam strategy.

ETA: Oh, and VS Pink, too.

Most of those seem to be fruity floral combos. I can't gauge the VS scents to well as, and I will be the first to admit, I never particularly cared for many VS scents. The one's I've been bombarded with have been far too sweet for my liking. Maybe she just likes how they smell? I wish I remembered how Journey smells. Heady is the only clue I have that leads me to think it's a little heavier on the floral aldehyde level (it's a scent note and a classic one too).

Your scent selection might be a gamble but on the plus side, you're not out too much money. Maybe you should consider a lotion with the ones she likes, if she likes them.

Let the rest of us addicts know how you/she like them!! I've used Butterfly Flower, and although it is a soft scent it sticks pretty well. I also have worn and liked VS Bombshell - it is, to my nose, a juicy fruity floral. So maybe if you find a nice floral, blending it with something like a bit of peach or orange might appeal to her.

Have you tried MO Snow Queen or Nurture's dupe of it (Winter Wonderland)? Most of your wife's preferences are fruit-centric with florals. However, her recent interest in VS Paris suggested that she might want something a little different. I have not smelled it, but the profile on Fragrantica suggested that it was unisex, fresh, and woods-centric with some spruce and floral undertones. Snow Witch came to mind for me. FYI - it smells better soaped than OOB. I would not suggest it as a lotion or spray.

Last edited:
I figure I'll make a 4lb batch and split it into 4 pieces with a cardboard divider in my two 1501 molds, each with its own scent.

OK, I didn't tell you this, but if you go sweet talk the person that cuts the plexiglass at Lowe's or Home Depot, they might just give you some of the "waste pieces". They make excellent dividers.
I have not tried bribery yet, I just found out about it when I got some cut for the aquarium.

Hey, soaper dude -- I'm glad it's not just us girly soapers. :)

edit: I think Patrick calls himself a "FO Ho." I haven't seen him post in awhile -- he's good folks and funny as all get out. I hope all is going well with him.

I was just wondering about him the other day. I'd kinda like to let him know I finally figured out how to fold freezer paper.:mrgreen:

A couple of citrus-oriented fragrance oil suggestions from Nurture might be the orange patchouli and 25:43. I am not really a patchouli fan, but appreciate this iteration. While I personally love the latter and often get compliments while wearing it, the scent borders on gourmand and is probably a bit more polarizing.

Last edited:
I get it. My first FO order I had to pare down my shopping cart from 28 samples. It was difficult. Then I turned around and ordered samples from another company just a day or two later. :)

I'm not familiar with any of your wife's scents that you named but I can say that Breath of God type from Nurture smells absolutely fantastic. I ordered a sample of it and I'll definitely be ordering a big bottle. Their Oudh Heart type is also phenomenal. I want to make myself some perfume with it.

Have you tried MO Snow Queen or Nurture's dupe of it (Winter Wonderland)? Most of your wife's preferences are fruit-centric with florals. However, her recent interest in VS Paris suggested that she might want something a little different. I have not smelled it, but the profile on Fragrantica suggested that it was unisex, fresh, and woods-centric with some spruce and floral undertones. Snow Witch came to mind for me. FYI - it smells better soaped than OOB. I would not suggest it as a lotion or spray.

Snow Witch is such a great fragrance. It's a favorite of both my son and I. I am really curious about Nurture's dupe. I have a fair amount of Snow Witch to use up before I order that one though.

Snow Witch is such a great fragrance. It's a favorite of both my son and I. I am really curious about Nurture's dupe. I have a fair amount of Snow Witch to use up before I order that one though.

I am in the same boat. I have only used MO Snow Witch and have yet to try Nurture's dupe. It is one that I am more curious/worried about, because it is mostly pine OOB and morphs into something more interesting in the cure. I have had great experience with Nurture, but wonder if they managed to replicate the fragrance of the finished product.

Now that my curiosity is aroused, I am going to have to place my own order...despite the fact that I am nowhere near out of Snow Witch and have MORE than enough FO's to play with. I am trying to re-organize my soaping supplies this week and am a bit disturbed to realize exactly how many I have...even while there more on my wish list to try. Maybe I'll try an FO swap with another "FO Ho" on SMF to keep the cumulative volume equivalent. That's a reasonable solution (rather than blatant rationalization) right?

Latest posts

Back