My first real

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markwadsworth

Reaction score
Just made my first batch of soap that is on my own and not the class. I used lard with out any EO. Mixed it for over an hour and no signs of trace. I put it the molds and hoped for the best about 7 hours ago. I have peeked in and saw that it is setting. We are expecting a storm here in FL in the morning I wonder if that had any play with it not thickening up when I was mixing it. I hope to cut in in about 14 hours.
Wondering what I will try next.

Mark

I just popped the lid off of one of my molds. the soap looks ashy. I am going to pull it out and cut it before it gets really hard.

Mark

Well I dumped it out of the mold in one piece as I was moving it and about to cut the soap it busted in two. I put it back in the mold and will let it wait another day or so. The good news is that when I washed the crumbs off my hands that they made suds. I still have the other half of the soap in the other mold. I didn't loose much of the soap but I will get to keep the part that broke off.

Mark

Ok this is a learning experience for you. Lard makes great soap but it has it's own characteristics. You probably won't get a heavy trace on it. Mine stays pretty light for a few days. Good news is you can swirl away.
After you get thru swirling, spray the heck out of it with alcohol. That will help prevent the ash. But even with the ash you can steam it or wash it off.
Washed soap looks old worldly.
Just as with any craft, you learn what not to do first and will make many mistakes. I have made plenty but then you tend not to forget them. Like the first thing you learn in sewing is how to rip out a seam. If you read my first post in this forum you will see that I had only made the old timey recipe for soap from the red devil can. Someone here suggested lye calc and I've been soaping alot since then. I watch you tube and read read read. I've read lots of threads on this forum. And I thank whoever it was that saved it a few months ago.

I ended up with a lot of air in the soap. I think it was over mixed it. We may have to melt it down again.

Mark

Latest posts

Back