Over-gelled soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So, I turned my oven back on, hoping to bump the heat back up a little, intending to turn it off before it got anywhere near 170. Then, I went to workon something else AND FORGOT ALL ABOUT IT! It's probably been in there a good half hour! It's quite the carmelly brown color, instead of white with a green and purple swirl.

What do you think? Any hope that this thing is going to calm down and be pretty? It's still soap! At least I can be pretty sure it won't zap today.

Every time I try something like that, it ends in disaster. Once, I put my oils on the stove to melt, and thought I'd just put them on high first for a minute to get them started. Well of course, you know what happened...the next thing I knew, my house was filled with smoke. It was very scary and my house stunk of burnt oil for weeks!!! But did I learn? Oh no, not me. Next, my oven was broken...how was I going to CPOP my soap? Well, the broiler still worked, so I'll just put my soap in the oven with the broiler on just long enough for the oven to warm up, then I'll turn it off. Next thing I know, I smell wood burning! One disaster wasn't enough to make me learn my lesson, but two was. Why is it that every time we do something like that, we get distracted??? :smallno: At least you avoided anything too drastic. I think your soap will be just fine. It always looks dark when it gels. Hopefully it won't crack, but if it does, try to push it back together while it's still warm.

This was crazy dark, though. It has calmed down by now and is looking pretty normal. On the plus side, it's already out of the mold, cut, and zap free. o_O

I replaced all of my water with buttermilk. If I'd been thinking, I wouldn't have used the oven at all. This is the darkest I've ever had buttermilk soap turn out. And it's a little pink-ish.

1497925073385.jpg

Latest posts

Back