~*~ SMF June 2017 Challenge - Peacock Swirls! ~*~
~ June 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Over-gelled soap

Old 06-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
artemis

Liked 668 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default Over-gelled soap

So, I turned my oven back on, hoping to bump the heat back up a little, intending to turn it off before it got anywhere near 170. Then, I went to workon something else AND FORGOT ALL ABOUT IT! It's probably been in there a good half hour! It's quite the carmelly brown color, instead of white with a green and purple swirl.

What do you think? Any hope that this thing is going to calm down and be pretty? It's still soap! At least I can be pretty sure it won't zap today.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #2
dixiedragon

Liked 3413 Times on 1968 Posts
Likes Given: 1504

I had some soap that gelled for 10+ hours and it was fine. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=61077

Old 06-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
artemis

Was that fig FO discoloring? I know it will be fine to use, and it still smells right, I was just aiming for white, purple, and green, not caramel, mocha and green.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
navigator9

Liked 2843 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Every time I try something like that, it ends in disaster. Once, I put my oils on the stove to melt, and thought I'd just put them on high first for a minute to get them started. Well of course, you know what happened...the next thing I knew, my house was filled with smoke. It was very scary and my house stunk of burnt oil for weeks!!! But did I learn? Oh no, not me. Next, my oven was broken...how was I going to CPOP my soap? Well, the broiler still worked, so I'll just put my soap in the oven with the broiler on just long enough for the oven to warm up, then I'll turn it off. Next thing I know, I smell wood burning! One disaster wasn't enough to make me learn my lesson, but two was. Why is it that every time we do something like that, we get distracted??? At least you avoided anything too drastic. I think your soap will be just fine. It always looks dark when it gels. Hopefully it won't crack, but if it does, try to push it back together while it's still warm.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:07 PM   #5
artemis

This was crazy dark, though. It has calmed down by now and is looking pretty normal. On the plus side, it's already out of the mold, cut, and zap free. O.o

I replaced all of my water with buttermilk. If I'd been thinking, I wouldn't have used the oven at all. This is the darkest I've ever had buttermilk soap turn out. And it's a little pink-ish.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1497925073385.jpg (32.6 KB, 50 views)
People Like This