Frizzy, Frizzy, Frizzy Hair

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're welcome, Navigator! I always hold my breath a bit when sharing recipes because what I like isn't necessarily what someone else will like. So .... WHEW!!! .... I'm glad the conditioner bar is working okay for you.

I agree that the bar limits the amount of conditioner that gets on the hair. If I needed more conditioning and control, I also think a lotion type of conditioner would be better than a bar.

For me, the bar type of conditioner is actually a good thing, because my hair is so fine. It goes from fluffy and frizzy in its normal state to flat and stringy if I put too much product on. After ending my shower, I lightly stroke the bar over the parts of my hair that need the most help -- the dry ends and the outer layer of hair from the crown down the back of my head. Oh, and a bit on my bangs. Then I gently rub and tousle the hair between my palms to distribute the product.

My hair has been better too! I'm not sure yet if I should credit the weather or the new routine, but combining soapprentice's oil treatment (but not for a whole day) with navigator's vinegar rinse has helped alot! I don't do it everyday, but the combo seems to make for wonderfully soft, shiny, slightly pouffy but not frizzy hair. Getting better! I started with what I have on hand, I'm sure I'll try the other tips eventually. Thanks everyone!

P.s. My hair is so weather dependant it's like having a different head of hair from one week (or day) to the next. Is it like that for all of you?

My hair has been better too! I'm not sure yet if I should credit the weather or the new routine, but combining soapprentice's oil treatment (but not for a whole day) with navigator's vinegar rinse has helped alot! I don't do it everyday, but the combo seems to make for wonderfully soft, shiny, slightly pouffy but not frizzy hair. Getting better! I started with what I have on hand, I'm sure I'll try the other tips eventually. Thanks everyone!

P.s. My hair is so weather dependant it's like having a different head of hair from one week (or day) to the next. Is it like that for all of you?

Glad you found something that works for you, with the oil and vinegar. (Sounds like salad dressing! :lol:) As I discovered when I forgot about the vinegar, it really does make a difference in my hair too.

And just to be completely accurate, in DeeAnna's recipe, I used jojoba as my liquid oil, and coconut as my "solid" oil, both because they are known to be good for the hair. I still can't believe how nice my hair feels this morning. My hair is very fine but thick, and some conditioners leave it feeling sticky and stringy, but not this one. And yes, my hair is very dependent on the weather, too. In the dry winter air, my hair is fairly controllable. But we have hot and extremely humid weather in the summer and then it is totally out of control.

But I haven't given up yet. I started using moisture shampoo from Costco which has no sulfates, and I'm thinking humectants in my conditioners haven't helped with the frizziness, so I'm anxious to see what happens when I formulate my own, without humectants, and with other things I know my hair likes. It's funny, as long as I've been making soap, I never really thought about making my own conditioner, but now that I see how easy it is, I'm anxious to keep experimenting. Even if I'm only able to make a dent in the frizziness, I'll consider it a victory! :thumbup:

I know a few frizzy friends who rub a little argon or jojoba through their ends while their hair is damp. Or they do regular coconut oil and honey hair treatments.That seems to tame some of their frizz.

I have one friend who has incredibly curly hair. She basically just does water rinses and conditioner rinses, while shampooing only once or twice a month. But it sounds like if you have really fine hair and prone to looking oily with anything heavy, that might not work.

I know a few frizzy friends who rub a little argon or jojoba through their ends while their hair is damp. Or they do regular coconut oil and honey hair treatments.That seems to tame some of their frizz.
I use jojoba (or Aveda dry remedy oil on a splurge - smells so good!) as my last step always. I tried honey on my hair once - not for me! I'm starting to understand that I should avoid humectants for the most part. And tried honey on my face once. Nooo! I consume honey in my tea almost daily, but my skin seems to be allergic - hot and red! It seems to work for many other people though.

Latest posts

Back