November 2017 - 1920's Theme Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I have an idea of what I want to do, but have been having trouble figuring out just how to do it. So, what I came up with involved a combination of two techniques which I have never done successfully individually, let alone putting them together. What was I thinking? Not hopeful, but sometimes soap will give you a surprise.

^^^Hey, are you making the same soap?? Those are my thoughts! I'm roughly half way in now, but it's the last stage that will make or break it - and of course I won't know til the cut!

What?? - how'd you do that? :shock:

I’m seriously only thinking of flappers and fringe. How do you pit fringe in soap? Oleic slime?

I contemplated fringe too but stuck with Plan A (for batch 1 anyway). Here's a seed I had for it though. Where there's a will, there's a way!

il_340x270.1036820840_gyow.jpg

What?? - how'd you do that? :shock:

I kept it really simple. I have loads of ideas and they will probably plague me until I try them, but this (maybe first) shot was the one I wanted most to do. Like I said, it's leaning towards nouveau rather than deco, so not technically the right era... But the colors work and it fits my inspiration, so it wins for me.

And, I'm out of lye, so...

My hanger swirl didn't turn out and I'm out of lye too so I'll just be voting this time around. I can't wait to see all of the entries!

1. dibbles - Oooh, love this idea!
2. toxikon - Some of my favourite artists are from the 20s, this will be a blast!
3. jewels621 - such an interesting idea!
4. Kittish - This should be interesting. I don't know much about the 20s. Google to the rescue!
5. Primrose - I'm in. This is a whole lot harder than last month but I am a sucker for 20's fashion
6. CaraBou - Great. I was gonna take the month off!
7. Jules92207 - You’re killing me smalls, so many ideas!
8. BattleGnome - crossing my fingers that I’ll have the time this month
9. SaltedFig - Copacetic!
10. SoapAddict415-The last 1 was so much fun, count me in again!
11. Cerelife - Interesting...I'm in!
12. Traumabrew - people are already taking my ideas...art deco and Dali
13. Sunrise Arts - At least I would get to vote!
14. Artemis - might as well use up the last of the lye
15. Mommycarlson - I've got an idea
16. Mintle - so many ideas, not enough skills! :D

Spent today learning glass art -- great, an even more expensive hobby! But man it's cool.

Last night I played with m&p for the very first time. They'll be embeds in CP, but I haven't set them yet. Does time matter for sticking to CP, or is more about surface area or something else? Anyone care to help a flapper at heart?

I still haven't got over your inspiration picture CaraBou!

... (and no help from me, sorry, I'm a M&P useless, except that gut instinct says powder coat the M&P ... which is more than likely going to be the complete reverse of what you need to do, because soap just does that :))

Last edited:
The only time I used M&P and cold process. The m&p went all sweaty and sticky so I am totally no help sorry! I love that inspiration pic though! :)

Spent today learning glass art -- great, an even more expensive hobby! But man it's cool.

Last night I played with m&p for the very first time. They'll be embeds in CP, but I haven't set them yet. Does time matter for sticking to CP, or is more about surface area or something else? Anyone care to help a flapper at heart?

Did you do glass blowing or fusing, or was it cut and soldered? It is a fun and expensive hobby for sure.

Spray your embeds with alcohol, and if there is a side that won't show, you can score or scratch up the M&P a bit. Otherwise, I'm no help with that. If the embeds are small, they should be fine I would think since I've seen plenty dusted with mica before they are embedded.

Thanks for the advice dibbles. I will try the alcohol. I have seen that mentioned but I don't understand the science behind it so wasn't sure. I'll have to start paying more attention to the m&p forum now that I've dabbled!

We fused the glass -- cut and kilned into plates, platters, bowls, and the like. I even made a draining soap dish by randomly crisscrossing strips. When I get my pieces back, I'll post a pic in general chat.

Thanks for the advice dibbles. I will try the alcohol. I have seen that mentioned but I don't understand the science behind it so wasn't sure. I'll have to start paying more attention to the m&p forum now that I've dabbled!

We fused the glass -- cut and kilned into plates, platters, bowls, and the like. I even made a draining soap dish by randomly crisscrossing strips. When I get my pieces back, I'll post a pic in general chat.

Oh do post pictures. I've done leaded glassworks but not the hot stuff. My sister does fusing-it's very cool.

My computer went haywire, let me try this again ...... I love making "hybrids" soaps. You can put MP inside the soap or on the top in cold process or hot process, as long as the temperature is not below 110 ( they won't stick), or above 140 (they would melt).

And always use alcohol between layers. It will help stick better.

Here is an example of HP with goats milk MP. All the white in the MP, the inside, and the rounds on top. It was one of my very first soaps....

344963_27Mar17_buttermloatshoney0317_2_.jpg

Very cool Sunrise, I love them both but especially the Scream!

Sounds like a fine line on temp. Lately I've been gelling my soaps in a crockpot filled partially with water instead of cpop'ing in the oven. I think I can hit the sweet spot but we shall see.

Due to technical difficulties, I have been without my computer for almost 3 weeks, therefore have been unable to participate. I wondered about the Nov. Challenge. Such a cool idea! But I am not able to participate this month. I, too have run out of lye and used up or gave away most of the oils I had with me on this trip. I may stop by Tractor Supply in Tomball, TX (Not far from here) to buy more, but I probably won't make soap until I get to Panama City Beach and that would not be in time for this challenge anyway.

I am looking forward to seeing the entries, though!

Latest posts

Back