White and black practice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibct1969

Reaction score
Hey all,

Happy June!

Trying my hand at white and black today.

What a godawful mess activated charcoal is! I will be finding splats for months throughout my kitchen I bet.

I used my badger paint mixer today and it's awesome- so glad I got one.

Used Nurture's Death and Decay FO, which performed like a champ. Smells like jasmine... sweet and pretty.

I accidentally added sugar to the lye water (which was around 100 degrees). It clumped up. Do you think that negatively impacted the soap? The batter looked fine.

White w black practice.JPG

Very nice, well done!!

Please (pleeeease!!!) don`t forget to show us the cut. We lurve those.

Very pretty! I've accidentally added sugar to my lye solution and experienced the clumping - I mashed it up as best I could then strained out the rest. Hopefully you won't see clumps when you cut your bars! Lesson learned - always add sugar to your water and dissolve BEFORE adding lye. :)

Hey all,

Happy June!

Trying my hand at white and black today.

What a godawful mess activated charcoal is! I will be finding splats for months throughout my kitchen I bet.

I used my badger paint mixer today and it's awesome- so glad I got one.

Used Nurture's Death and Decay FO, which performed like a champ. Smells like jasmine... sweet and pretty.

I accidentally added sugar to the lye water (which was around 100 degrees). It clumped up. Do you think that negatively impacted the soap? The batter looked fine.

I think I would have splashed some red in there for good measure. Death and Decay kind of demands it.

You know what? I was thinking the exact same thing. I have a feeling I'm going to do a lot of white and black soaps!

I have nothing useful to add about the sugar, but I'm absolutely in love with your soap design!! I too am hoping you'll post pictures of it cut!!

:bunny:

Thanks everyone. I cut it too soon I think because there's drag marks in many of them. Stupid drag marks.:head banging:

Here's a couple. I LOVE that jasmine smell coming from them. I hope it sticks around after cure is done.

Cut black and white.JPG

That looks great! I'm still struggling with getting a black enough black (I've got the science down, but the art is still elusive) but yours looks perfect.

Thank you kindly. It is pretty freakin black in the black. I used activated charcoal in almond oil and just kept adding it until it was as black as black can be. :)

Thank you kindly. It is pretty freakin black in the black. I used activated charcoal in almond oil and just kept adding it until it was as black as black can be. :)
I find adding charcoal to oils and adding enough to get it black tends to keep it soap for quite awhile. It is better to pull some of your liquid and make the slurry or just add it into the soap batter if it is light trace. Charcoal will drink a lot of liquid so making a liquid slurry is often preferable. It takes quite a lot of charcoal to make a true black

Latest posts

Back