Oatmeal questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sexymess

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I made a cream oatmeal and honey soap and the oats were more like a scrub than soothing. After researching ( reading on the web, lol) I have decided to make oatmeal water to add to my soap. So this is my plan. Add honey to lye water. Do a water discount. I am soaping at 33% these days. Then at emulsification add my oat water. I plan to soak the oats In Distilled water and strain them out and weight the water and all that. My question I guess is could I make it all oat water and add it to the lye? What do you think of doing it that way? Or the other way? Thank you so much

Have you thought about trying colloidal oatmeal? It's very finely ground up so it doesn't make the soap grainy or scratchy. It just adds a nice creaminess to it. You can add it directly to your melted oils, your batter or water. Very versatile and easy to use. I use 1 tablespoon PPO.

I use oatmeal all the time. I grind it up to a powder in a coffee grinder or sometimes I use baby oatmeal.

I did grind my oats in my vita mix, and shook them through a fine seive. Still they were very grainy.

Have you thought about trying colloidal oatmeal? It's very finely ground up so it doesn't make the soap grainy or scratchy. It just adds a nice creaminess to it. You can add it directly to your melted oils, your batter or water. Very versatile and easy to use. I use 1 tablespoon PPO.
Yes I want to use them. I just don't like to spend money. I read somewhere that we could make our own. But this seems impossible.

Colloidal oatmeal isn't the same thing as just ground oatmeal. It is precooked to gel the starches and extract the beta glucans. Then it is dried and ground into the fine powder in the Aveeno bags.

Can I use the avenno bags?

I bought a 1 pound bag of it for $15, not terribly expensive. Where are you located again?

Canada, I usually order from voyager soap and candles. I have ordered from amazon. And Safire blue ( way too long to get an order) that's a great price. I'll check out prices for my next haul.

Canada, I usually order from voyager soap and candles. I have ordered from amazon. And Safire blue ( way too long to get an order) that's a great price. I'll check out prices for my next haul.

Yeah, I can't seem to find many good sources.

Here's one option on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/262920032/colloidal-oatmeal-powder-bath-soak-8oz
8oz for $10CAD plus $9 shipping.

Because I have such a big bag I could probably ship you some just to try out. I'm in Ontario (on the US border so I do my shopping on Amazon US) so it'd probably be pretty cheap, just a couple bucks to ship in a ziploc. Let me know!

For what it's worth, I've made oat milk and used it at 100% water replacement. The lye solution gets a bit gelatinous but it works. I also chilled the oat milk overnight, but that was because I made it one day and used it the next. I reserved a small amount of the liquid needed for the lye solution, and mixed my honey with warmed water at that amount and added it at emulsion.

Hi everyone. I made a cream oatmeal and honey soap and the oats were more like a scrub than soothing. After researching ( reading on the web, lol) I have decided to make oatmeal water to add to my soap.

I just made this a couple of weeks ago! After making the oat milk (water) I used it in place of all of my water for the lye. I added my honey to my warm oils. It was very easy, although making the oat milk was a little messy. The last time I used honey in the lye water, my soap came out fairly dark. This time, adding honey to the oils, it's much lighter.

Here they are (excuse the weird lighting). Not too dark, the natural honey smell is also less. Everything I read before hand said the oatmilk would clump up once the lye was added, but I didn't have that problem. Also, they are very bubbly.

1495159134301.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I used colloidal oatmeal in a couple of my batches and they feel very good on skin. We don't get it here, so, a friend got me a 1 lb bag from the US.

This is what I do. I just buy generic Aveeno and it lasts forever. Oddly, this stuff makes my mother break out when she uses it. You can also purchase oat extract to add to your soap.

Recently, I made my own almond milk for an almond bar, and used the ground meal in the soap. It turned out pretty interesting and scrubby. Next time I'll buy almond flour, though.

Back