Looking for ideas...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaturallyYou

Reaction score
I tried to find a good recipe for my 1lb mold - and have a few ideas but was wondering if anyone is willing to share their percentages?

I have coconut oil, castor oil, and almond oil to use...

Any suggestions? Should I add in a different type of oil or take out any? This is my first time doing a "larger" batch (1lb) and I would like it to be a success....

Let me know! Thanks.

You could do a 100% coconut oil soap with a 20% superfat. It makes for a lovely soap.

Or, if you were wanting to use all 3 of the oils in your batch, I would get a hold of some palm or lard as Obsidian suggested to add to them, or maybe even some olive oil and make something like this:

Castile-type:

60% olive oil
25% coconut
10% castor
5% almond oil

or

50% olive oil
20% lard (or palm)
25% coconut
5% castor

IrishLass :)

Thanks for your suggestions guys! I will look into getting lard or palm - meanwhile I might try a 100% coconut oil soap :)

:mrgreen:

If you're shopping off the shelf at the supper market or are having trouble finding palm the new crisco has allot of palm in it and the sap values are in soapcalc. Also I think most kroger stores carry the spectrum brand of vegetable shortening which is either high or all palm (if my memory serves). It's also kind of fun to hop on to soapcalc and play around with the percentages using the oils you do have to get to know their values and fatty acid content and how that relates to your soap. You can do it with books too but the site feels funner.

A lil tip if you are doing a 100% coconut soap, might want to soap cool as the batter can get pretty hot afterwards. I don't insulate my coconut soaps, and they gelled on their own nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

You really need a hard oil like palm or lard, can you get either? A good basic recipe is 50% palm or lard, 20% coconut, 25% some type liquid oil like olive and 5% castor.
50% lard works great, but I find bars with 50% palm can tend to crack after being used for awhile. It does make a very hard bar. I like 30% lard with 15-20% lard, avocado, castor and sunflower

I agree with the 50% hard oil (lard, tallow, palm), 25% other conditioning oil (olive, avocado, etc), 20% bubbly oil (coconut, palm kernel, babasu), and 5% castor.

Personally, I find that olive oil/conditioning oil over 30% to have a slimy feel. Others may not feel this way, but I've even had people report back in disgust about this. :p

Thanks everyone!! I am soaping today and will let you know what I decided on and how they turn out.

attached is the soap calc results of the recipe i chose... so far so good it seems. excited to see how it cures.

Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 12.53.01 PM.jpg

Latest posts

Back