Am I crazy to think this could be a soap mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
OK, so we all know that soapmakers see molds wherever we look, but this may be pushing it a little. I have a Cricut cutting machine. It's a newer one. I bought a cartridge for it on Etsy, an older cartridge from when they had a little keyboard on them. The cartridge came with a silicone overlay for the keyboard, that was used somehow in the previous incarnation of the Cricut. My machine doesn't use overlays. So I'm looking at this little piece of silicone, with little square indentations all over it thinking...hmm... I wonder if this would work for tiny square embeds. Only problem is there seems to be a bit of a lip on the inside of the squares, maybe to kind of hold them onto the keyboard. I'm thinking that might make it impossible or at least difficult to remove them without damaging them.

So I'm wondering if any of you out there have any of these things and have you ever tried to use it as a mold? Or is it just me? :think:

If it's very flexible, that lip might not cause problems getting little soaps out, especially if you freeze them for half an hour or so immediately before trying to remove them. You can also add some sodium lactate to your soap batter to help it set up firmer, which might help.

I have to plead guilty to seeing potential molds everywhere, too.

Is it silicone? Fondant mats are very detailed and work well. I'd give it a go. Wait for it to harden before you remove the mat. I dont use SL.

I look for molds everywhere too.
I also look for perfect storage boxes for my Castile because I have to keep them for 1-2 years. Went shopping with some friends and they went home with 3 new pairs of shoes. I came home with 3 shoe boxes. :)

I have to plead guilty to seeing potential molds everywhere, too.
And it's one of those things that only another soapmaker won't roll their eyes at your for! :)

Is it silicone? Fondant mats are very detailed and work well. I'd give it a go. Wait for it to harden before you remove the mat.

I look for molds everywhere too.
I also look for perfect storage boxes for my Castile because I have to keep them for 1-2 years. Went shopping with some friends and they went home with 3 new pairs of shoes. I came home with 3 shoe boxes. :)

Yes, it is silicone and very flexible.

Baseball card storage boxes are the perfect size for regular bars, unless you do fancy tops.

Last edited:
And it's one of those things that only another soapmaker won't roll their eyes at your for! :)

Yes, it is silicone and very flexible.

Baseball card storage boxes are the perfect size for regular bars, unless you do fancy tops.

It will be great for soap! Try it.
My family are well practiced at eye rolling :(
We don't get baseball cards in Australia. :(

Latest posts

Back