What soapy mistake have you made today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops.gif

Just a reminder: be sure to read the label for your FO every time you use it. Don't just trust your memory, or you could end up with soap on a stick. This just came to me out of the blue today. No reason. Just thought someone (other than me, of course) would benefit from this little reminder. You're welcome.

Remind others what's going on in your space. Not really MY soapy mistake, but...:)
I always leave my lye solution to cool in our kitchen sink (it's close to a window and it makes me feel better about any potential spills or splatters). Last night, I go to check on the temperature and find my husband's used ice cream spoon in my solution, chocolate syrup and everything. He just thought it was other dirty dishes....

:headbanging:

Last edited:
I was making a custom batch today. My customer knew what scent and additives he wanted, but gave me free reign on the colors and design. He's a Carolina Panthers fan, so I decided to make the team colors with a silver mica line. Everything was poured and ready to put to bed, when suddenly the mold tipped and dumped a bunch of batter into the sink :cry:. I think it will still be blue and black, but I have little hope that my mica line survived. Argh! We'll see when I cut it tomorrow.

I have had a week!!!! I left my coconut oil and shea butter out of a 5 pound batch of soap (it was in the crock pot melting and I completely forgot about it) did notice until the next day when I was getting ready to make another batch and went to melt more. But that time everything had been cut and was on the curing rack. Unfortunately I split this batch up and couldn't just rebatch it to add the missing oils. *Head desk*

Today... oh today... I went to put my lye water in the freezer like I do sometimes and forgot I had just put my camera on top of the freezer. I opened the door and the camera fell down into the bucket I was holding and I dropped the bucket. Lye water everywhere. I am okay, my hands are sore because I was frantically trying to clean it up.

Hope this makes you feel better :crazy:

Well. what about the camera? Hope you didn't ruin it?

Keep an eye on your fragrance oils, guys!

Just opened my dryer and noticed my clothes were unusually fragrant. Oops.

How? I could see a bottle maybe slipping into the laundry if it was smaller, but... I gotta ask how? Also, I hope it didn't have much in it to start with. An entire bottle of anything in my laundry would have me tossing the whole load outside, at least for a day or two. Oh, and thirdly, hooray that it didn't break! Dryer full of broken glass would not be a happy making thing to deal with.

I had placed a box of fragrance oils on top of the dryer for a few minutes yesterday afternoon. My husband decided to put a load in the washer, and must have knocked it in.

It was a 4oz bottle, so I'm not sure how I didn't notice it when I switched everything to the dryer. Thankfully it was less than half full, and I'm glad it was OMH rather than something super strong like patchouli!

Oh, these stories are awsome, and mine pales in comparison.

Making last minute lotion bars for last minute buyers - because there's no soap left. I puzzled over why my recipe didn't seem to be yielding as much as usual. :think:

Yesterday, after they'd all been packaged and delivered realization finally dawned. I completely forgot the coconut oil in all three batches. Ran home to try one out sooo worried. A little harder than usual, but still nice.

I had placed a box of fragrance oils on top of the dryer for a few minutes yesterday afternoon. My husband decided to put a load in the washer, and must have knocked it in.

It was a 4oz bottle, so I'm not sure how I didn't notice it when I switched everything to the dryer. Thankfully it was less than half full, and I'm glad it was OMH rather than something super strong like patchouli!

That's funny, I store my soap stuff in my laundry room too and once and a while some FOs will end up sitting on top of my dryer as well. I had a half-full Yuzu FO sitting on a shelf between my washer and dryer, and decided to move it a few days ago to prevent any accidents.

I made soap using some herbal tea in place of the water. I forgot to strain the tea a second time... When I cut the bars, I can see teensy little bits of chamomile scattered throughout the soap. Fooey.

I made this killer mistake in my last batch few nights ago, I accidentally used the water amount as soda amount. I couldn't understand why the lye turned very very thick, I had crystals floating on the surface not melting, I was trying to figure out what went wrong, I thought I have planned very well for the batch, I couldn't tell why the soap in the molds was heating up to 450 F. I didn't need to insulate or wrap the batch, it hardened extremely fast, I thought maybe I get up very early next day to cut it, so I went to bed to wake up around 4 am thinking what went wrong. Only then it clicked to my mind what I had done. The soap is very brittle I am thinking to make it into a powder and add baking soda and use it for washing whites. I know in the past they used lye for cleaning but I didn't try such a thing before.

Oh, forgot this one... I line my round mold with Freezer paper .

Really doesn't help if you forget to put the "shiny" side inwards.
gonna try Mineral oil

Last edited:
I made this killer mistake in my last batch few nights ago,

madison
Laundry powder is usually made with 100% CO because other oils can stain your clothes with oil.

Your soap might cure ok. Use a soap calc to work out the actual lye concentration you used. You can use -40 lye concentration and it still makes soap.

I had one a few days ago, now that I think of it. I was making my gardener's soap and printed the recipe.

I'd printed it at 3% SF instead of my usual 0% for that. So I had to do an on-the-fly adjustment to the lye of (checks sheet) 6 grams (it was a pretty big batch).

A chunk of lye fell in at the end, putting me 11 grams of lye up. So I had to adjust the oils on the fly by about 35 grams.

I didn't have enough tallow to split them, so I ended up having to make a third adjustment to shift that over to the coconut, which I did have plenty of. There's more math.

And then I forgot to put oatmeal in it (for the scrubbiness) and ended up tossing that in at emulsion (I'll usually drop it in when I add the lye).

Fortunately, I did remember the scent.... And it all worked out at the end, with a calculated 0.5% SF and no zap a couple days later...

Latest posts

Back